How many advanced science courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillinillinkillin007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many advance science courses will you guys take before you will graduate? Including advanced chemistry, physics, etc.

In other words everything above prereqs

Members don't see this ad.

I've had Principles of Genetics, Human Genetics (grad level) and I'm in Biochem I right now. I won't take Biochem II, b/c screw that.

I already have genetics and am currently taking biochem. Before I graduate I will also have taken physical chemistry, advanced biochem 1, advanced biochem 2, advanced cell and molecular bio

Members don't see this ad :)
Only upper level biochem. I'm a psych major. Taking some upper level neuro classes, but debatable whether they will count as BCPM.

Reactions: 1 user
Only upper level biochem. I'm a psych major. Taking some upper level neuro classes, but debatable whether they will count as BCPM.

I think the upper level neuro classes will count as BCPM. On the AAMC, neuroscience is under the biology(B) category.

Attachments

• bcpm.png
    bcpm.png
    317.5 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: 1 user
Cell bio, microbio, anatomy, immunology. Ecology and evolution if those even count, they are required for my pre-health based biology. Nothing too fancy. GPA is most important!

genetics, biochem, anatomy, physiology, molecular bio, and a bunch of upper level neuro classes for my major. you couldn't pay me to take more physics, though. lol

how many advance science courses will you guys take before you will graduate? Including advanced chemistry, physics, etc.

In other words everything above prereqs

I took intro bio and cell bio at a community college... no other biology class ever in my life and I have 8 interviews so far this cycle. I'll be taking biochem in the spring to cover for schools who require it.

Chem major so lots of advanced chemistry
Physics 1 and 2, then 1 upper level physics

side note: I took ALL prereqs at a community college including: intro bio, cell bio, gen chem 1/2, Ochem 1/2, physics 1/2, english, math through calc 3, and all applicable labs.

I took a research-based developmental genetics course, anatomy (comparative, upper level, took after mammalian anatomy), developmental plant anatomy, a biopharmacology course, ecology of infectious disease and evolution.

Obvious bio major. Lol

Cell bio, micro, biochem, genetics, graduate molecular genetics, graduate cell bio of pathogen infection, immuno, analytical chem, inorganic chem

wait what do you guys consider upper level? isn't upper level anything outside of prereq's pretty much

Took an upper level physics course, a few math courses (calculus 3, 4, dif eq, linear, stats), biochem 2 (my fav), orgo 3 (another fav), advanced inorganic, genetics, cell bio, I have a few chem classes that might be considered upper level but I have to take those, so they don't count. One class I'm sad I couldn't take was optics. I think I needed one more physics class but after thermodynamics/relativity I said nah to physics. No ragrets.

Cell Biology, Physiological Control Systems or PCS (required for biomedical engineering students so it was very systems-based), 1 semester of Biochemistry (we had to read, analyze, and discuss research papers and take exams with problems directly based on those papers), Principles of the Nervous System, Endocrinology, Principles of Human Physiology (PCS was the prerequisite for this class), Behavioral Ecology (worst class ever; only took it to complete my bio major), and Protein Biochemistry Lab. Oh, and also Nutrition.

I didn't take any upper level chemistry courses because I liked biology more and I wanted to protect my GPA lol.

Upper level is whatever your school considers upper division. Ill be taking Biochemistry for thr MCAT and then some more upper division biochem classes and labs for my degree. I took genetics in lieu of intro Bio since I tested out of intro bio. I plan to take Modern Physics, Classical Electro/Dynamics, and Quantum I in Physics and Probability in math but besides that all liberal arts classes (history + philosophy mostly). You are under no obligation to take more science classes on top of the prereqs, especially if your BCPM gpa is Ok. I couldnt stomach more chem and bio classes considering that will be the rest of my life.