How many are waiting for the MCAT to decide your future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Street Philosopher

freebird
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow premeds,

I don't know what boat you guys are in, but the MCAT is going to determine everything from skipping this year's application cycle or applying to Top20 schools. I have an average gpa: 3.67 and ok EC's, but I really think my MCAT score is going to be the main factor for me. To add to my uncertainty, I didn't take any full MCAT's for like a month before the real MCAT, so I have no idea how I did. (I took practice ones before, but not during the last month) I'm wondering what your situation is with this MCAT score that is looming. How big a factor will it be for you?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the exact same situation - the rest of my application is great, but these MCAT scores determine whether I take a year off and try again. Only in medicine...

I totally agree. I'm in the exact same boat. It's really pissing me off that I have this med school book just sitting at home but there's no way I can look at it. How can you begin to narrow it down when there's no way to do so?

I feel ya.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya'll, I took the MCAT last August and I remember the agony of waiting to hear my fate. I know it's hard, but try not to view the test as a life or death thing. I almost had an anxiety attack waiting for those damn scores....not to mention actually taking the test! In the mean time, immerse yourself in something other than med school applications to keep yourself busy and sane. I'm sure you all did really well. Good luck to you. BTW, I am accepted at one osteo school and I am "high priority" waitlisted at my allo school of choice. So all the worry was for nothing! Take care....

I have to agree that my MCAT score could rule out some schools I am thinking about, or (hopefully) it could add some new ones to my application. I'm glad that we can now see them before we apply and not be behind the curve. :)

I know where you're all coming from on this one. I was basically told by an admissions officer at my top choice that if I get a 29 I'd be in ED no problem and after a semester of 30 hours/week MCAT...I still don't know that I can swing a 29. Only in medicine indeed!
sdm

Originally posted by Schoolboy:
•Hello fellow premeds,

I don't know what boat you guys are in, but the MCAT is going to determine everything from skipping this year's application cycle or applying to Top20 schools. I have an average gpa: 3.67 and ok EC's, but I really think my MCAT score is going to be the main factor for me. To add to my uncertainty, I didn't take any full MCAT's for like a month before the real MCAT, so I have no idea how I did. (I took practice ones before, but not during the last month) I'm wondering what your situation is with this MCAT score that is looming. How big a factor will it be for you?•

I hear you! My MCAT scores will determine whether or not I will apply EDP. :)

I also completely understand what you are all talking about......My scores will determine whether or not I apply EDP to my state school and what other schools I'll apply to etc...

The waiting sucks bad.

later

Actually my verbal score will determine if I become clinically depressed for a year. I scored in the 10-11 range during practice and on the MCAT day I felt equally confident after the science sections. I however felt the oposite on VR. I scored in the 8-9 range only once and this was my highest during my practice. During the real think I felt unsure on more than half of the questions I was able to get to, not to mention the block of questions I didn't even get to read and just bubbled randomly. I know it's not the best thing to do, but I'm in a sense hoping for a miracle on VR. I would be happy with an 8.

hey everyone,

i'm new to the forum and would just like to comment on the April MCAT...

I took it at a community college in Sacramento and let's just say the experience sucked. I was lucky enough to be seated in the back of the classroom so I could hear the annoying, droning voice of the professor that was giving a lecture in the next classroom. Hello, this was the MCAT and we had an extreme amount of background noise. I know you are supossed to be prepared for anything, but c'mon, the noise went on for almost half of the test. In addition, alot of people brought in illegal devices into the testing room. A freakin' cell phone went off during the bio section. The guy next to me was using white out for his writing samples. There weren't enough left handed desks for lefties. It was a very bizarre experience. I was expecting a much more professional testing environment. I wrote a letter to the MCAT testing service and all they said was they were sorry and that i could use the letter to show to med schools if my scores aren't up to par. YEah, whatever.
I, too, am dreading the day I receive my scores. It'll pretty much be the deciding factor on this whole process. I really don't want to take the MCAT again in August. But, i guess it could be alot worse, right?

what is wrong with these poeple at the MCAT office. We just want our damn scores so we can figure out what to do with our lives. I mean, come on... how hard is it to score the test. we did all the work for them at the test, now all they have to do is put the paper in the machine. I hate the MCAT! I hope that we all kick ass on it and never ever have to think about it again. on that nore, peace out and good luck.

what is wrong with these poeple at the MCAT office. We just want our damn scores so we can figure out what to do with our lives. I mean, come on... how hard is it to score the test. we did all the work for them at the test, now all they have to do is put the paper in the machine. I hate the MCAT! I hope that we all kick ass on it and never ever have to think about it again. on that nore, peace out and good luck.

Originally posted by buglady:
•hey everyone,

i'm new to the forum and would just like to comment on the April MCAT...

I took it at a community college in Sacramento and let's just say the experience sucked. I was lucky enough to be seated in the back of the classroom so I could hear the annoying, droning voice of the professor that was giving a lecture in the next classroom. Hello, this was the MCAT and we had an extreme amount of background noise. I know you are supossed to be prepared for anything, but c'mon, the noise went on for almost half of the test. In addition, alot of people brought in illegal devices into the testing room. A freakin' cell phone went off during the bio section. The guy next to me was using white out for his writing samples. There weren't enough left handed desks for lefties. It was a very bizarre experience. I was expecting a much more professional testing environment. I wrote a letter to the MCAT testing service and all they said was they were sorry and that i could use the letter to show to med schools if my scores aren't up to par. YEah, whatever.
I, too, am dreading the day I receive my scores. It'll pretty much be the deciding factor on this whole process. I really don't want to take the MCAT again in August. But, i guess it could be alot worse, right?•

Hi buglady,

Your April MCAT experience pretty much rivals mine (refer to my original post: http://www.studentdoctor.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002057&p=2). Don't feel bad though. I mean even if you get bad scores back at least you'll be *getting* your scores. Last year my one friend didn't get her scores back until a month after everyone else because the MCAT people sent it to her school address instead of her home address (she knows she filled the right bubbles here). This delayed her application long enough that she chose not to apply last year. And we PAY 200 bucks for this??? BAH!

I am not applying until I see the dreadred scores, since I am a few years out of undergrad and have average grades.
I am working and reading alot ...and DOING ANYTHING TO KEEP MY MIND OFF OF THE MCAT SCORES! :p