How many away rotations for EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForGoodLuck

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting for a friend.

Third year DO student. Our school is blanket advising students to do as many away rotations at programs we like as we can. I asked our rotations coordinator whether that applies to EM as well, considering EMRA & CORD guidelines that students should only do a max of 2, and got a blank stare. One of my classmates plans to schedule 5. I asked two current residents, they said they each did 4, and recommended I do more than 2.

We don’t have a home program, but I’ve satisfied my program’s EM requirement. My scores are competitive, no red flags. I’d like to do aways at several programs, but not if it means trashing my application. Are the EMRA limits being respected, and my anecdotes just anecdotal, or am I going to screw myself if I follow those guidelines?

Members don't see this ad.

You just need one or two, just to get your one or two SLOEs. Other than that, you'll be fine. Applications to EM decreased by 17% this year, and it's expected to keep going down due to the bad job market for EM physicians currently. So, I think it should not be that competitive of a field to match into anymore.

Last edited:
i have friends that ignored the EMRA cap and did 4-5 away rotations anyway in the peak of covid. All matched. I’m not really sure if programs actually care in general

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Posting for a friend.

Third year DO student. Our school is blanket advising students to do as many away rotations at programs we like as we can. I asked our rotations coordinator whether that applies to EM as well, considering EMRA & CORD guidelines that students should only do a max of 2, and got a blank stare. One of my classmates plans to schedule 5. I asked two current residents, they said they each did 4, and recommended I do more than 2.

We don’t have a home program, but I’ve satisfied my program’s EM requirement. My scores are competitive, no red flags. I’d like to do aways at several programs, but not if it means trashing my application. Are the EMRA limits being respected, and my anecdotes just anecdotal, or am I going to screw myself if I follow those guidelines?
Listen to your school. Do as many as possible, starting NOW if you can. Make those connections. I followed the "rules" and I'm confident this hurt me compared to others who did more. Many places (not all but a lot - do your research) will automatically interview you if you rotate there. So theoretically, doing 5 aways instead of just 2 can increase your interviews by up to 150% right off the bat.

Reactions: 1 user