How many bio courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoleyerscrubz

Registered User and Stuff
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From reading this forum and seeing what is being asked in interviews and also the MCAT I'm wondering what other Bio classes non-Bio-Premed students are taking beyond the 1 year of biology requirement?

I am going back to school as an undergrad and I have about 45 credits so far from an Engineering major I never finished. I have 3 semester of physics, 3 semesters of calculus, and 2 semesters of general chemistry already completed.

The way Chemistry Premed(what I am taking) is sequenced it will take me 4 semesters to graduate in Spring 2006, if on top of my major I take only 1 year of biology with lab (principles of Biology I & II) and biochem while not taking any of the following:
cell biology, microbiology, histology, comparative anatomy and physiology, or genetics.

I'm not being lazy but taking more than one of these courses will possibly put off my graduation to Fall 2006 which means I am applying to schools one year later.

sorry for the long post.

Rec

Members don't see this ad.

I took cell and anatomy, molecular biology, biochemistry and genetics. I should have taken more though.

Don't take anymore then you need to. As long as you do good on the MCAT you are good. One year of Bio is plenty. This isn't really answering your question, but I hope it is what you are looking to hear. I am a Bio Major so I don't fit into your non-science major, sorry about that one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on my MCAT, I'd say Genetics, Physiology and Cell Bio or Biochemistry.
Those three are the most important. Biochemistry would be better than Cell Bio, IMO.

Microbiology, anatomy and histology wouldn't help for the MCAT nearly as much. Biochemistry is not something to fear, it's not nearly as hard as some people make it out to be.

I totally agree with UseUrHeadFred:

genetics and biochem are great for MCAT bio material / prep.
Fetal Hemoglobin anyone?. . . . .

Vandyfox

The funny thing is, physiology and biochem compliment each other extremely well. Good classes to take together, despite the apparent difficulty. You'll talk about hemoglobin in Biochem, then, voila, pulmonary system time in physiology. Next thing you know, Hemoglobin is on the MCAT.
Very high yield.

Get genetics done first, though!

Genetics, physiology and biochemistry as I see it are a must.

Math major, took only general bio.

Interdisciplinary (ethnomusicology) major.... took bio 1 lecture/lab, bio 2 lecture, upper level bio lab, and a semester of the chem department's biochem

take as much science as you're comfortable with beyond the pre-reqs, but you can do very well on the MCAT with only minimal bio

The TX med schools REQUIRE four semesters of undergaduate biology.

It's often misconstrued that taking lots of undergrad bio will prepare you for med school. From what I have seen, this is not the case at all.

I would only take more than what's required if:

1) you enjoy biology so much you just have to keep taking more or it's your major;

2) you want to get your science gpa up;

3) you want to make up for a previous low score (e.g. you did bad in cell bio and want to take biochem to redeem yourself);

I'm a bio major too, but the best classes for me for the MCAT were Cell and Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. I'm also taking Biochem this fall, for my first semester of med school, so it's been doubly useful.