How many characters did you all have for your personal statement for AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovetoBE MD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many characters people ended up with on their personal statement? I think that I had around 4700, and I know the limit was 5300. Should I have had more? What did everyone else have?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
5300!!! Don't judge by me, though; I am notorious for writing essays that require "paring down," rather than "beefing up."

i had around 4700 too, maybe a bit more.

Does it really matter?
As long as you don't ramble use all 5300 if you can't think of enough things to say then you've probably said enough and 2000 could be enough. It's all relative.

I was literally shaving off spaces by the time I submitted. I discovered though that the AMCAS application kept on cutting off characters, so instead of 5300 characters I could only enter somewhere around 5230. That was a major pain.

I agree that the ability to communicate concisely is valuable. If you said what you need to at 4700 then don't be gratuitously adding more stuff.

5200 +/- 50

5300 exactly...by luck too.
I was pretty shocked.
I'm hoping maybe it was a sign that I'll get in or something.

I had 5300 +/- 5. I too wrote a great statement (in fact I took an English class and that was our first assignment :)) But I ended up having to cut like 100 chars out of it. What a pain!

Just my two pennies.

I can't remember the exact number, but I had at least 1000 characters to spare on that essay, and at least 500 on the other. I thought of it this way: I could add another 1000 characters of useless verbage and such, but adcomms rarely have time to read the whole essay, so they would probably pick out the 1/5th of my essay that was just space, and then I wouldn't have a chance. Just my opinion, and my plan seems to be working thus far.

I changed "months" to "weeks" in one paragraph just to make it under the limit.

5300. I always have plenty to say. Just ask my boyfriend.