How many C's do you have on your transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chill Pill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just starting Organic Chemistry and it doesn't look so good.

I was wondering how bad a C or two is for applying to pharmacy school.

Does pharmacy training use a lot of organic chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

try not get C's in any of the pre-reqs...
ochem is a pretty important class

i have 4 C's

3 of them in math classes (yes i'm awful at math) and 1 C in a psychology class (i was extremely apathetic my first year)

in the US = 0 C
in my home country = like 1 or 2Cs and 1D lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 1 C in Cal II. The schools I apply to only look at pre-reqs and only Cal-I is a pre-req and I got a B in that.

It's just the start of the semester, you are starting to worry too early.

I have never gotten a C in a transcript, and I don't advise you to strive for such a diversification of grades. :D

I got multiple Cs and even one D, but I earned multiple acceptances.:D Seriously though, I explained myself to every school regarding those grades and had a good interview + PCAT to offset.

My point is that Cs are not the kiss of death in pharmacy school admissions.

Pharmacy school courses won't retest your organic skills directly, but sucking at it will make interpretations of drug structure, biochemistry, and related pharmacy courses very difficult.

I received five C's during my undergrad years, two D's and an F. But that was 15 years ago (I'm 36), and I will have a good explanation when I go in for an interview.

My overall GPA is 3.1. My GPA in the last year (I have been taking pre-reqs as a post-bac) is 3.8.

Don't let one C scare you out of applying. But if you do get a C in a pharm pre-req, I'd suggest retaking that class.

I just looked at my transcript and I got a C in General Chem II and retook it and got a B.
Just like another poster mentioned, Cs are not the kiss of death but in my opinion why risk it, when you can take it over and get an A. Organic Chem is probably one of or the worst prereqs to get a C. All schools are different and it all depends on how your transcript plays out but if you do not want to have to worry about it then just retake the course, get an A and everything will be fine and dandy plus you will have a better than average understanding of the material when you move onto Biochem and other upper division courses.

I got 84 credits including all preps : 1 B+ on English Composition 1, 1 B+ on Oral Communication, 1 B on Biology 1 lecture and 1 B for lab. The rest is As. My GPA 3.88. And english is as my second language. I have lived in US for 4 years. Still waiting for Pcat score...

C's in the following courses: Bio 1 (didn't study), Chem 1(slept during class), Organic 2, Genetics (hated the class), Immunology (85 was a B, I got an 84),
Microbiology (same teacher as Immunology). D in Organic 1. Do I wish I had done better? Yes. I'm a P2 with a B-average as we speak. Change what you can and don't stress about what you can't. :luck:

How would a "C" look in an Ecology class?

ohh I have my share of C's. C- in organic 2, C+ in A+P 1 lab (due to the fact that I refused to spend 10 hours a week learning stuff for the 5 point quizzes at the beginning of every lab), D+ in A+P 1 (long story there), C in micro (but an awesome A in the lab :rolleyes:)

Members don't see this ad :)
i have ALOT of Cs, and 3 Ds. 2 of the Ds were in prereq courses (econ, chemistry 1) There is about 8 Cs and about 2/3 is in prereq classes (government, chems, microbio) and the rest other classes.

I got two Cs my first semester, I think two my second. My first year GPA was 2.95. I got off my ass and improved though...I was getting 3.8s by my second year, bumped the GPA up to 3.27 and got in. They took my night and day improvement in the face of harder classes into consideration.

I got two Cs my first semester, I think two my second. My first year GPA was 2.95. I got off my ass and improved though...I was getting 3.8s by my second year, bumped the GPA up to 3.27 and got in. They took my night and day improvement in the face of harder classes into consideration.

Good Work.:thumbup:

Grades are strange. Some schools are easy and inflate grades while others are tough. Even in the same school, professor A is a tyrant while professor B is a pushover.

One student's C might be from a very tough weed-out class, while another student's C can be from that student screwing around.

I wonder how admission committees decide on all of that. I go to a "fourth tier" school, so I'm sure they'd treat all of my As as though they were Bs or Cs.

What about Harvard? Mysteriously, that school gives As for 50% of the grades (up from 25% in 1986).

1 c

Last edited:
I had 7 and got into 3 schools. =)

I have several Cs and 2 Fs from undergrad. Most of my sciences are As though. It's not all about grades though, because they let me in this year.

I've never gotten Cs. But I can say that I really thought I was going to get one in Orgo I. I was WAY below average on the first exam (like a 45% or something ridiculous). It scared me so much, I worked 3X as hard from then on out. And ended up w/ a B+ in the class.

Take your time learning the concepts, but once you adjust, it'll be alright. Get help when you need it! :)