How many C's...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basil411

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently applying and I'm about to get my second C. I'll have two C's in my science pre-reqs. Will this keep me from being accepted? My GPA is 3.4. Do know of ppl who got in with 2 C's? I'm applying to Western U only.

Members don't see this ad.

basil411 said:
Hi,
I'm currently applying and I'm about to get my second C. I'll have two C's in my science pre-reqs. Will this keep me from being accepted? My GPA is 3.4. Do know of ppl who got in with 2 C's? I'm applying to Western U only.

I know someone who got accepted to UF with a few Cs!

GATOR Girl said:
I know someone who got accepted to UF with a few Cs!

do you know how high their PCAT scores were, and if they were involved in volunteering and EC's?

Members don't see this ad :)
leoproductionz said:
do you know how high their PCAT scores were, and if they were involved in volunteering and EC's?

PCAT was 79 percentile I believe, No volunteering, very good letters of recommendation, BS degree and Florida student/resident.

Depends on what science classes. Science classes like Organic Chemistry weights more than other science classes. If you apply to enough pharmacy schools, you are bound to get into one of them.

basil411 said:
Hi,

I had C's in all 3 physics courses. The adcom was like "Eh, it's physics. We don't care."

It depends on what classes the C's are in and if your overall application is good. A 79 PCAT isn't really helpful or hurtful.

Aznfarmerboi said:
Depends on what science classes. Science classes like Organic Chemistry weights more than other science classes. If you apply to enough pharmacy schools, you are bound to get into one of them.

My only C was in Organic I, I am blaming that for my not getting accepted last year.

I had a few C's and a couple of grades worse than that! :eek: I've been accepted to two schools so don't worry! If you have other positive aspects to your application you really have nothing to worry about!

I can't even begin to count the number of Cs I got but I still got in.

Sometimes you run into a professor whose style -- particulary w/exams -- doesn't match yours.

No big deal. Your 3.4 shows you've excelled in your other course work.

crossjb said:
Sometimes you run into a professor whose style -- particulary w/exams -- doesn't match yours.

No big deal. Your 3.4 shows you've excelled in your other course work.

my C's are in anatomy and calculus. i got A's in inorganic chem and organic chem and the rest of the classes.

I got a C in Organic Chemistry and still got into UCSF. Don't worry too much about your C. Just keep up your grades in your other classes. C's happen, it's life, so don't sweat too much. I got an A in ochem @ UCSF :D So it just shows that it could be the teacher.

jemc2000 said:
My only C was in Organic I, I am blaming that for my not getting accepted last year.

Are Organic grades really that important?? And things like physics NOT important? I'm taking Organic I now and I feel the highest I will make (at least right now) is a B, but I could get a C. :( I have As in all the non-important classes though!

Members don't see this ad :)
starsweet said:
Are Organic grades really that important?? And things like physics NOT important? I'm taking Organic I now and I feel the highest I will make (at least right now) is a B, but I could get a C. :( I have As in all the non-important classes though!
I am right there with you in Organic chemistry. I have a borderline B right now, but can that can easily be a C anytime (especially tomorrow because I have an Exam on Nucleophilic subsitutions, alkyne/synthesis and stereochemistry :scared: ) I guess I should be studying now. Yikes! Best of luck to you! :luck:

Smilescali said:
I am right there with you in Organic chemistry. I have a borderline B right now, but can that can easily be a C anytime (especially tomorrow because I have an Exam on Nucleophilic subsitutions, alkyne/synthesis and stereochemistry :scared: ) I guess I should be studying now. Yikes! Best of luck to you! :luck:

You too! :luck: I have a test tomorrow too. What am I doing on SDN?!?! :laugh:

Me three!! I have a HUGE test tomorrow.. and I am on SDN! :cool:

Man! Why can't physics be counted more? Those are actually the classes I got an A+ in!

None. Ahhhh.... that feels good. I get an ulcer when I think about getting a B, which I have also fortunately avoided thus far. That will most likely change in 3 hours when I get my exam back in physics.

It's all about what you are willing to sacrifice.
... a social life
... sleep
... mental health
... etc.

Chris.

freshbeatschris said:
None. Ahhhh.... that feels good. I get an ulcer when I think about getting a B, which I have also fortunately avoided thus far. That will most likely change in 3 hours when I get my exam back in physics.

It's all about what you are willing to sacrifice.
... a social life
... sleep
... mental health
... etc.

Chris.
I've sacrificed all of the above. My grandma died last year during finals and I didn't get to see her before she passed away (in recovery after surgery) b/c I was too busy studying. I regret it everyday.

**Edit: Sorry I forgot the topic of the post. I have a C in some english class and history.

Smilescali said:
I do some organic tutoring, so if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you. I know how it feels to be afraid of a class! Please PM me if you have anything at all that you don't understand.

beccala33 said:
I do some organic tutoring, so if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you. I know how it feels to be afraid of a class! Please PM me if you have anything at all that you don't understand.
That is so kind of you to offer and I may just take you up on that. I took my test today and feel so- so about if. Here is one that I am not sure about:

React Na atom with sec-butyl alcohol to form what products? Then react one of the formed products with 2-iodobutane with subsititution rather than E2 elimination for the formation of products. :)

beccala33 said:

I would ask, but everything is such a blur right now. Thanks for the offer though, I might ask you later on!

I hope you all's test went/goes well today.
I have a physics exam in a few hours. I will be so glad when this semester is OVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I messed up my first 2 yrs of college and now my sci gpa is paying the price. so i am now basically starting over from scratch and retaking 5 classes before I even bother to apply to pharm schoo.

PHARMDhope2b said:
I hope you all's test went/goes well today.
I have a physics exam in a few hours. I will be so glad when this semester is OVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too!!! :scared: This semester will *hopefully* help my GPA a bit.. but it'll just be a bit.. And now it's getting cold... As I was walking to my dreadful O. Chem test yesterday, it got really windy about 40 mph and started snowing! Yesterday was awfully cold, awfully windy and awfully organic chemistry!

Here's what I was really getting at.. I have received a fair amount of C's in college. At first, I was like :scared: "I'm not smart enough.. I can't be a competitive student.. I am never going to make it to pharmacy school!!!!" And then it dawned on me... all you have to do is make it to pharmacy school and survive four years? What is a decade or less of pharmacy school preparation when you are preparing for your whole life? I mean it's going to be a piece of your life.. though it may seem like it is the end of your life now. It's not! If you want to be a pharmacist, you're gonna be. That's it. If you have the patience, motivation and fianances to do so.. then you're going to be a pharmacist. I am proud of the people that get 4.0s because I know I was never meant to be one of those people.. I know I have to study my butt off for a C sometimes.. but then again I know I am going to be a pharmacist. I am not going to give up my life (no offense to those who have) to only become a pharmacist.. because my biggest support group is my friends and family. I love pharmacy. I love working in a drug store. I love the thought of being a pharmacist. I love everything about it... I know I have a few C's but I also know by some miracle I am going to be a pharmacist... even if it involved having a few too many cocktails at a bar with some friends!

Just know.. not to worry, if you want to.. you will! :thumbup:

sarahjth said:
Here's what I was really getting at.. I have received a fair amount of C's in college. At first, I was like :scared: "I'm not smart enough.. I can't be a competitive student.. I am never going to make it to pharmacy school!!!!" And then it dawned on me... all you have to do is make it to pharmacy school and survive four years? What is a decade or less of pharmacy school preparation when you are preparing for your whole life? I mean it's going to be a piece of your life.. though it may seem like it is the end of your life now. It's not! If you want to be a pharmacist, you're gonna be. That's it. If you have the patience, motivation and fianances to do so.. then you're going to be a pharmacist. I am proud of the people that get 4.0s because I know I was never meant to be one of those people.. I know I have to study my butt off for a C sometimes.. but then again I know I am going to be a pharmacist. I am not going to give up my life (no offense to those who have) to only become a pharmacist.. because my biggest support group is my friends and family. I love pharmacy. I love working in a drug store. I love the thought of being a pharmacist. I love everything about it... I know I have a few C's but I also know by some miracle I am going to be a pharmacist... even if it involved having a few too many cocktails at a bar with some friends!

Wow. I love your message of encouragement. I was down in the dumps after being waitlisted twice for Touro and I felt liek crap when I got the letter. I know that I made my share of mistakes but I know that I cannot imagine being in any profession but pharmacy. So I'm just going to work from scratch and do what I need to do in order to get to pharm school. I hope the adcom sees my determination and offer me a chance down the road. But I kno that after you have accumulated so many classes, it is pretty hard to boost your GPA up. Have you heard back from any schools yet Sarah?

oink2655 said:
Wow. I love your message of encouragement. I was down in the dumps after being waitlisted twice for Touro and I felt liek crap when I got the letter. I know that I made my share of mistakes but I know that I cannot imagine being in any profession but pharmacy. So I'm just going to work from scratch and do what I need to do in order to get to pharm school. I hope the adcom sees my determination and offer me a chance down the road. But I kno that after you have accumulated so many classes, it is pretty hard to boost your GPA up. Have you heard back from any schools yet Sarah?

I am not playing on the field yet.. I actually decided to go to get my bachelor's because most of my classes were always full... (apparently everyone wants to be a doctor, pharmacist, vet, etc. at my school...) I wish I was applying though. It's such a bummer to know that just a class or two is keeping me away... But I am determined to be a pharmacist with my so-so GPA. Even if I don't get accepted until I am 30! (I'm 20 now) But if you ever need someone to talk to or make you sane, feel free to IM on AIM... I'm always on! :)

sarahjth said:

I love your determination! In the long run, I think you'll be better off than any pharmacist who isn't passionate about pharmacy and who does it just because it's a stable job.

starrfishes said:
I love your determination! In the long run, I think you'll be better off than any pharmacist who isn't passionate about pharmacy and who does it just because it's a stable job.

Yea, i agree! Way to go Sarah! i'm 20, too and hoping to get a Bachelor of Science, too (before I apply to pharm schools)! We'll become successul pharmacists in any way, as long as we have strong determination. :)

You guys are so inspirational!!! I'm only in my second year of undergrad, but I'm already feeling down, wondering if I'll have what it takes...(maybe because I did the full session for summer school and now I'm burnt out :( ). But after looking through this thread, I felt more confident because in the end I know I want to be a pharmacist and I'll get there someway somehow...because I really should start enjoying my undergrad experience rather than being buried in books :p . Hope everyone did well on midterms!!! Ochem II is kicking my butt!

O-chem kicks everyone's ass at some point... my o-chem professor once said, "It's Organic, anything that can happen will and it will mess up your life." So don't sweat it... No one's going to ask you what you got on your second o-chem test when you're standing behind the counter dispensing their Amoxicillin...

Smilescali said:
That is so kind of you to offer and I may just take you up on that. I took my test today and feel so- so about if. Here is one that I am not sure about:

React Na atom with sec-butyl alcohol to form what products? Then react one of the formed products with 2-iodobutane with subsititution rather than E2 elimination for the formation of products. :)
Check your private mail...

Organic Chemistry was my downfall... I am still struggling with it. However, I have learned sooo much!

:laugh:
I know it's a bit early.. but I am really looking forward to the Thanksgiving parade, turkey, and especially the yams!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!
:D
*gobble, gobble*
Please keep in mind of all the wonderful things we have and that many people do not this holiday due to Hurricane Katrina, unemployment and poverty. . .

Hi,

I was womdering, Hampton has a 0-6 program. Is their advantage to applyin there as a freshman or transfering after 2 years?
Thanks

TCB said:
I can't even begin to count the number of Cs I got but I still got in.

Hi,

Wanted to know...How do you like Hampton?

Is it a good school for pharmacy?