How many current Pharm students had previous Pharmacy experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mastodon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at some of the profiles of pharmacy graduate school students feels so intimidiating to me. I am second year student (I took 1 year of PSEO) and I am just finishing Gen Chem 2. I do awesome in school and I know that it is not going to be a problem.

How may current Pharm students had pharmacy work or volunteer experience prior to applying for Pharm School? What are the chances of getting in if you have no experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I am not at the stage of applying yet but I'll have pharm tech experience when I apply. I just got hired for my first tech job and also hope to later on add some volunteer work also. I know there are some who don't have pharm experience who get accepted but having some sure seems to help! So if you can I'd suggest you find some way to do that but I really don't think though that it's going to make you a definite rejection if you don't have some. I think if your grades and PCAT are good enough then you really should be able to get in somewhere. It's sometimes those who have lower GPA and PCAT who really need the extras like experience and volunteering to boost their application. Like me! :laugh: I need all the extra help I can get and I'm really not embarrassed to admit that. :smuggrin:

Looking at some of the profiles of pharmacy graduate school students feels so intimidiating to me. I am second year student (I took 1 year of PSEO) and I am just finishing Gen Chem 2. I do awesome in school and I know that it is not going to be a problem.

How may current Pharm students had pharmacy work or volunteer experience prior to applying for Pharm School? What are the chances of getting in if you have no experience?

By the time I start pharm school in Fall 08, I would have two years of pharm experience. Been a clerk for about 1 1/2 years, and I received my pharm tech license back in January. I would say having experience will help you tremendously, especially on your apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ultimately think that experience helps only in understanding where one might be going in the field, but not necessarily as a prerequisite of what is necessary for "getting in." It shouldn't be viewed as a magic formula of how many hours of community service one has, or how many tech years you have under your belt, but rather getting a feel for one's passion and direction within the profession. That being said, I didn't have any experience going in, though about 1/2 of my class were technicians. It is nice to have diversity in your incoming class, especially if you could substitute working as a tech with something more interesting or useful (finances permitting).

I agree that it is not required by many programs, however some DO recommend it. I am starting this Fall 08 myself and by that time I will have nearly 4 years experience working at an independant retail/compounding pharmacy. :cool:

I had about 6 months of volunteer experience. One school required a minimum of 4 months, while the others had no requirements but strongly recommended experience. At every interview I was asked how I learned about pharmacy, got experience, etc.

I'm going to Ferris State in the Fall, and I was accepted with zero pharmacy experience. But Ferris says that they really base their admissions on grades and pcat, and I did well with both. I've worked in labs for several years, but that's not pharmacy.

You will find that your interviews will be much easier and much more valuable if you have experience. I couldnt imagine applying or answering some of the interview questions without having experience.

You will find that your interviews will be much easier and much more valuable if you have experience. I couldnt imagine applying or answering some of the interview questions without having experience.

^Totally agree with you on that. I answered a lot of my interview questions using my experience as a pharm tech and I could tell that my interviewers really liked my answers. I don't know how I would've answered some of the questions without any experience.

I'll third that - one of my interview questions was what would I do in the case of a misfill. So, I was able to say "Well, last week we had a situation in my pharmacy that was a missfill by the pharmacist. Fortunately, I wasn't involved, but here's what happened, and here's what I think was the important thing to be done with the patient..."

Also, I think it's highly variable by school. I go to Mercer, and in the last few years 80-85% of the entering class has already had pharmacy experience. That says to me that it's something the adcom values highly, and it's probably more difficult to get in without it.

I have not had any...really wish I did though. I think they understood because I've been doing pharmacology research full time for the last 10 years.

I did,,,, one year in a private "fertility" pharmacy where I was helping with compounding. And about four month now... of CVS madness. :eek::eek::eek:

On a side note: I regret quitting that private pharmacy job - Dear pharmacist, take me back, please!:rolleyes:

I do, right now about 6 months at CVS. If I get accepted for next year, I'll have ~20 months of experience

In my opinion, most 1st year pharmacy students have little (6 months - 1 year) or don't have any pharmacy experience at all.

The moral of the story here is:
Pharmacy experience only looks good if you have top grades.
So, get all the pharmacy experience if you have the time but absolutely not at the cost of dropping your grades.

Pharmacy experience will definitely help you in your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and your interviews.

My pharmacy experience are as follows:

3 years of pharmacy volunteering
1 year pharmacy clerk
2 & 1/2 years pharmacy technician

I had no pharmacy experience wish I had some at the time.

Its tough in an interview to answer the questions "how do you know you want to be a pharmacist?" w/o having been in one.

Sure I got in w/o it but many of my classmates know so much more 1st year just because they work.

I'll be a first year pharmacy student in the fall. I've worked 1.5 years in my undergrad pharmacy, 0.5 year at Walgreens, and so far 3 months at Kroger. I think you can get accepted with much less experience though!

I have no experience (I haven't even shadowed a pharmacist before). I got accepted. What's more, I don't feel like there were questions on my interview that I could have answered better if I had pharmacy experience.

However, a lack of experience should not equal a lack of knowledge of the profession. I think my knowledge (or the appearance of it, anyway :laugh:) helped me during my interviews, because they were surprised that I appeared to know so much despite my lack of pharmacy experience.

I was just accepted to Howard w/o any Pharmacy experience.