how many days do general dentists work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hirohero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
on average, how many days do they work?
4 days/wk, or 5 days/wk?
how many days will i have to work when I get out of dental school and start working as an associate dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

I would plan on working 5 days/week. That's if you can find someone that needs you that much, right?

Everyone else in the US works 5 days. I've been working 6 days/week for years. Once established I think that I would rather work a normal work week and take some time off to vacation and retire a little earlier.

I am unable to understand the benefit of this very general question but let me entertain you.

The number of "days" worked per week is a very personal matter affected by gender, age, family obligations, debt and other financial goals.

Additionally, number of days worked is not as important a factor as "hours per week". On average the number of hours decreases as the dentist gets older and is less for women.

the number of hours worked per week for most dentists falls between 30 and 40.

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently work 30hrs. week but I started out 10 years ago doing 80hrs. week.

I currently work 30hrs. week but I started out 10 years ago doing 80hrs. week.

I do 29 hours of clinical dentistry (3 and 1/2 days) and usually in the neighborhoood of another 3 to 5 hours a week of "administrative work" during a typical week.

I'm quite comfortable with the amount of time in both in and out of the office each week and the income this set up provides me with.

I work 4.5 days a week (half day Friday). Cant complain

4 days/wk, or 5 days/wk?
how many days will i have to work when I get out of dental school and start working as an associate dentist?

For the first 5 years out of school I worked my practice plus 2 other jobs 6 days a week. (And I did not have the debt load young dentists have now.)

For the middle 15 years of my career I worked 3 jobs 5 days a week and one weekend a month. (I found private practice boring so I sold my practice and did "other types of dentistry".)

I NOW work 3 days a week doing clinical stuff and 1 day a week teaching. (I am at a point now were I only work because I like it, not because I have to.)

HOWEVER the way I did it may not be possible for young dentists today as the economics of dentistry has changed!

For the first 5 years out of school I worked my practice plus 2 other jobs 6 days a week. (And I did not have the debt load young dentists have now.)

For the middle 15 years of my career I worked 3 jobs 5 days a week and one weekend a month. (I found private practice boring so I sold my practice and did "other types of dentistry".)

what other types of dentistry did you do?

what other types of dentistry did you do?

1. Worked in for the State Department of Corrections. First 1 day/wk, then 2day/wk, then 3 day/wk, then 4 day/wk my last year there was for 5 days a week but that got to be too much. (I Got a great benefit package at that job)
2. Was a traditional guardsman in the Air National Guard for 20 years. (Got to practice dentistry in 4 countries and 5 other states that way.)
3. Was an asso. dentist for for a crown and bridge wizard one day a week for a while. (Learned a ton from that guy)
4. Worked part time in a welfare clinic for a couple of years, until the place was burned down by a couple of dopers trying to cover their robbery attempt. (I didn't work too hard and made good $)
5. Worked a private practice for a guy that was too ill to work it himself. (The guy was a old friend from school.)
6. Worked for a mobile dentist outfit doing dental work in schools. (I loved the staff with this bunch! We got to party in a different town every week)
7. I continue to teach at a dental hygiene program. (Don't make big bucks but it is great fun)
8. Did some ODD JOBS for my state government like design pre-employment tests for dental assistants and investigate possible malpractice by state employed dentists and chart reviews. (This was goofy busy work that required a dental license. I got to travel around the start on an expense account 3-5 days a month)
9. The there were the jobs I did that had nothing to do with dentistry, but that is a whole different story.

The point here is you can do just fine outside of the private practice model.

1. Worked in for the State Department of Corrections. First 1 day/wk, then 2day/wk, then 3 day/wk, then 4 day/wk my last year there was for 5 days a week but that got to be too much. (I Got a great benefit package at that job)
2. Was a traditional guardsman in the Air National Guard for 20 years. (Got to practice dentistry in 4 countries and 5 other states that way.)
3. Was an asso. dentist for for a crown and bridge wizard one day a week for a while. (Learned a ton from that guy)
4. Worked part time in a welfare clinic for a couple of years, until the place was burned down by a couple of dopers trying to cover their robbery attempt. (I didn't work too hard and made good $)
5. Worked a private practice for a guy that was too ill to work it himself. (The guy was a old friend from school.)
6. Worked for a mobile dentist outfit doing dental work in schools. (I loved the staff with this bunch! We got to party in a different town every week)
7. I continue to teach at a dental hygiene program. (Don't make big bucks but it is great fun)
8. Did some ODD JOBS for my state government like design pre-employment tests for dental assistants and investigate possible malpractice by state employed dentists and chart reviews. (This was goofy busy work that required a dental license. I got to travel around the start on an expense account 3-5 days a month)
9. The there were the jobs I did that had nothing to do with dentistry, but that is a whole different story.

A.D.D.? :laugh:

4 days/wk, or 5 days/wk?

I work 4 days one week and 6 days the following, as an associate.

Most owners I've met work 2-3 days if they have associates, 3-4 days if they practice solo.

One of my friend's friends works like 7 days a week. well, actually, it's 6 1/2, she's gotta have some time off to herself right? lol...
Seriously, I don't know how I can ever pull something like that off. Makes good money though.

That's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
I want to be just like you when I grow up!

My dentist works alternating weeks (he shares an office with another dentist). One week they work 3 days a week 8-6. The next week they work 2.5 days a week. Pretty sweet schedule...