How many DO letters should I submit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheylandis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gotten very close to two DO's thanks to my current job, and I am sure they would both be happy to write me a letter of recommendation. I know that DO schools require letters to be sent in with secondary applications, so I was wondering if I should ask both of the DO's I have been working under and shadowing or pick one. I will be applying to MD (getting an MD letter as well) and DO schools in the next few weeks and was looking for a little bit of advice regarding the letters.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd get them both....they very well may show you the letter in which case you can send the better one or both if they are both excellent.

If schools ask for one letter, send one letter.

Are y0u using a LOR service such as Interfolio? If not, you should probably look into something like this.....that way you don't have to bother your letter writers every time you need them to send a letter? <------------I don't know if people still use these services but it was a very handy tool when I applied several years back.

I have gotten very close to two DO's thanks to my current job, and I am sure they would both be happy to write me a letter of recommendation. I know that DO schools require letters to be sent in with secondary applications, so I was wondering if I should ask both of the DO's I have been working under and shadowing or pick one. I will be applying to MD (getting an MD letter as well) and DO schools in the next few weeks and was looking for a little bit of advice regarding the letters.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I would get all the letters I can. I am sure if you are close to them, they would write you a strong letter. I had applied last cycle and with a few IIs I got 2 acceptances. After shadowing 5 docs, including a DO, I got all the letters and turned them all in. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
If two DO's are offering to write you good LOR's, what is the harm in getting both? You can store both of them in Interfolio and if a school requires only one letter, you can submit custom deliveries via the dossier service.