How many DO schools can one apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RiceFiend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
AOA lists 26 accredited schools operating in 34 locations:
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/about/affiliates/Pages/osteopathic-medical-schools.aspx

AACOM lists 29 accredited schools operating in 37 locations:
http://www.aacom.org/about/colleges/Pages/default.aspx

How many U.S. accredited schools are there really? Also can one apply to as many spots as there are locations or is the number of spots available equal to the number of accredited schools? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

AOA lists 26 accredited schools operating in 34 locations:
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/about/affiliates/Pages/osteopathic-medical-schools.aspx

AACOM lists 29 accredited schools operating in 37 locations:
http://www.aacom.org/about/colleges/Pages/default.aspx

How many U.S. accredited schools are there really? Also can one apply to as many spots as there are locations or is the number of spots available equal to the number of accredited schools? Thanks in advance.

You already know the answer. There are 29 schools (26 + 3 new schools that are enrolling students for this fall). In addition, there are 8 more satellite or branch campuses. So there are a total of 37 osteopathic medical school campuses in the country.

I believe you can apply to 33 of the schools. Two schools, VCOM and LECOM, have satellite campuses, Virginia and Carolinas campuses and Erie and Seton Hill campuses, respectively. You can only really apply for a seat at one of those campus locations. For example when you submit your application to VCOM, you state a campus preference and can only apply to that campus. When you apply to LECOM, you can indicate Seton Hill preference either during the submission of the secondary or when you select your pathway at the interview. You are applying for both simultaneously, but you can only get one seat at either Seton Hill of Erie. In addition, MSU-COM has three total campuses, but I believe you can only be admitted into one of them.

Last edited:
You already know the answer. There are 29 schools (26 + 3 new schools that are enrolling students for this fall). In addition, there are 8 more satellite or branch campuses. So there are a total of 37 osteopathic medical school campuses in the country.

I believe you can apply to 33 of the schools. Two schools, VCOM and LECOM, have satellite campuses, Virginia and Carolinas campuses and Erie and Seton Hill campuses, respectively. You can only really apply for a seat at one of those campus locations. For example when you submit your application to VCOM, you state a campus preference and can only apply to that campus. When you apply to LECOM, you can indicate Seton Hill preference either during the submission of the secondary or when you select your pathway at the interview. You are applying for both simultaneously, but you can only get one seat at either Seton Hill of Erie. In addition, MSU-COM has three total campuses, but I believe you can only be admitted into one of them.

I did not know that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, you CAN apply to both of the Western's but they say in the secondary application to only submit the secondary to one school. So really if you're going to apply to WesternU, only apply to 1 because they state that you will only be considered at one of the campuses. (unless you're rejected or you withdraw, then you can be considered at the other campus)

Also, you CAN apply to both of the Western's but they say in the secondary application to only submit the secondary to one school. So really if you're going to apply to WesternU, only apply to 1 because they state that you will only be considered at one of the campuses. (unless you're rejected or you withdraw, then you can be considered at the other campus)

So if you submit it for one, and then get rejected, you can submit it to the other? Do they at least have fast turn around so you don't get too delayed for the other campus?

VCOM, LECOM, and MSU-COM are the only schools where I can only apply for one seat?

So for example: ATSU/KCOM and ATSU-SOMA. I can apply for two seats for these two campuses even though they are both of the same school (A.T. Still University of Health Sciences)?

So if you submit it for one, and then get rejected, you can submit it to the other? Do they at least have fast turn around so you don't get too delayed for the other campus?

You can, but they don't have fast turn around, and if you were rejected from one, then you would probably be rejected for the same reasons from the other. They do have separate adcoms, but they look at the same criteria. For all practical purposes they are considered ONE class.

Don't waste your time and money applying to both campuses of Western. It is a fine school. The NW campus was my top DO school and was my overall number 2 choice.

dsoz

VCOM, LECOM, and MSU-COM are the only schools where I can only apply for one seat?

So for example: ATSU/KCOM and ATSU-SOMA. I can apply for two seats for these two campuses even though they are both of the same school (A.T. Still University of Health Sciences)?

You can apply to both LECOM-B and either LECOM-E or SH.

Also, like was stated above, only one campus of Western. Either Pomona CA or Lebanon OR.

dsoz

You can apply to both LECOM-B and either LECOM-E or SH.

Also, like was stated above, only one campus of Western. Either Pomona CA or Lebanon OR.

dsoz

Just wanted to say that despite an MD acceptance--it is very much appreciated that you still frequent the DO forum and offer help/advice.

Many props to you sir.

The A.T. Still's are two separately run schools with separate admissions committees. (Kind of like BYU-Provo, BYU-Idaho, and BYU-Hawaii. Separate schools with the same name and same ownership, but totally separate admissions and acceptances.

Does it matter which Pennsylvania LECOM or which VCOM you decide to apply to if you're OOS?

For VCOM, no. Choose the one you are more interested in (which generally will be due to location since almost everything else is the same), you wont be better or worse off because of the campus you select... at least early in the year though I think VA fills earlier than SC generally.

LECOM, not in terms of acceptance but SH I believe is all PB curriculum while Erie has a couple different tracks.

Just wanted to say that despite an MD acceptance--it is very much appreciated that you still frequent the DO forum and offer help/advice.

Many props to you sir.

Thanks,

I did way too much research, and had way too much help getting where I am at to not "pay back" to the group that helped me. I actually prefer the pre-osteo crowd, they are less snobby.

Actually, I don't browse the different forums, I hit the "new posts" button at the top of the page, and look at all the new posts that have been put up since my last visit. I look at posts that I think are interesting and contribute to those that I can.

I don't discriminate based on forum. :)

Since I applied and researched over 10 DO schools, I think I know something about some of them. WesternU is one that I know a lot about because I was sure that I was going to end up there.

dsoz

SOMA and KCOM are NOT the same schools. They have the same overarching body, but they are two completely different entities. They are two different schools. Branch campuses mean they are not the same school. If it were satellite campuses, then they would be the same schools, but simply with campuses at other locations, like LECOM Erie and LECOM Seton Hill. They have similar admissions departments and share the same clinical education spots.

Yeah, it's about 33 and the schools with satellite campuses have been noted.

I vaguely seem to recall being told by admissions staff at VCOM that they are going to begin allowing applications to both schools this year. I may have misunderstood, but it's probably worth a quick phone call to either of them. I'd go ask for ya but we are on break and I'm OOT.

I vaguely seem to recall being told by admissions staff at VCOM that they are going to begin allowing applications to both schools this year. I may have misunderstood, but it's probably worth a quick phone call to either of them. I'd go ask for ya but we are on break and I'm OOT.

Here was my experience with the VCOM campuses:

On the VCOM secondary there was a question for campus preference. It was followed by a question that asked if your preferred campus was full, would you be interested in the other campus. I marked VA as my campus preference, but also said yes to the second question. I got a phone call from VCOM saying the VA campus was full but they would like to invite me to interview at the Carolina's campus. I interviewed at VCOM-CC and was accepted (so clearly saying I preferred one campus over the other does not hurt your chances at the other campus).