How many DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1129372

How many DO schools should I apply to? New W/A are in bold.

Thank you!

• 519 (128/130/129/132)
  • c3.7, s3.95
  • 500 hours paid clinical
  • 75 hours volunteer clinical
  • 36 hours shadowing primary care
  • 24 hours ob/gyn
  • Research
  • Plenty of volunteer and paid work in underserved communities, 2 new volunteer/leadership activities
I applied to these MD schools:

UCs
Kaiser
Keck
CUSM
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Mayo
Pitt
Emory
NYU LI
Tulane
Cinci
BU
Drexel
Wake Forest
Oakland
RF
Georgetown
Loyola
Brown
Dartmouth
Colorado
OHSU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences) was likely a donation as they take few OOS students. I would have suggested more mid-tiers instead of schools like Drexel and Rosalind Franklin, who may prefer applicants more likely to ultimately attend their schools.

For DO, you could try:
Touro CA
Western
Touro NV
AZCOM (high tuition though)
PCOM
KCU

Reactions: 1 user
You should add more MD schools to your application this week and I suggest these:
Western Michigan
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
USF Morsani
Miami
Rochester
Tufts

Members don't see this ad :)
Since posting I’ve received II to Pitt and Cincinnati. Should I just add a couple of mid tiers and skip DO?

Apply to many many many more MD schools. Don't apply to DO yet unless you're really really eager to start.

Apply to many many many more MD schools. Don't apply to DO yet unless you're really really eager to start.
Why do you say many many many? Not counting the UCs and OHSU, I applied to 20. I also added 5 from Faha’s list. I received 3 II this week and an R from Georgetown.

Why do you say many many many? Not counting the UCs and OHSU, I applied to 20. I also added 5 from Faha’s list. I received 3 II this week and an R from Georgetown.

20 is too few. Do 30 more.
It's just such a waste of your amazing stats for DO right now especially after this year's match.

Please don’t apply to that many more. It’s unnecessary and you can use the money saved for something. It is a good sign that you have interviews already. That means the lack of clinical hours and shadowing was the main issue.

Reactions: 1 users
OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences) was likely a donation as they take few OOS students. I would have suggested more mid-tiers instead of schools like Drexel and Rosalind Franklin, who may prefer applicants more likely to ultimately attend their schools.

For DO, you could try:
Touro CA
Western
Touro NV
AZCOM (high tuition though)
PCOM
KCU
I agree with this list, make it both Westerns, and add TUNCOM plus PacNW

Keep in mind that Pitt won’t release decisions until January. Personally, if I were a reapplicant, I would be adding 15 mid tiers ASAP (you’ll have to put in some work to find which send out IIs late) and 5 or so DOs.

All reapplicant should apply to at least 35 schools, preferably 40+

Update:

I submitted 28 secondaries and did not apply DO. I have 7 interviews (3 completed and 4 in the next month). My only post-interview decision so far is an A.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users