1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

How many DO students take USMLEs?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by njdesi, Oct 26, 2002.

1. njdesi

njdesi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am currently interviewing at DO schools and am wondering how many people in DO schools opt to take USMLE steps 1-3? How similiar/different are COMLEX and USMLE besides COMLEX testing you on OMM?? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrWBD

DrWBD Formerly 'wanna_be_do'
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can get the information about osteopathic medical students who take the USMLE from this site (USMLE.org)

I'm an osteopathic MSIV who took USMLE Step 1 and 2 and COMLEX Level 1 and 2, so I can give you a little info from my experience. The greatest disparity between tests is seen in the USMLE Step 1 and COMLEX Level 1. The COMLEX Level 1 exam has the feel of a "mini" Level 2 exam. While the Level 1 exam does test your basic science knowledge, it does so in the context of clinical medicine. The USMLE Step 1 is much more basic-science oriented, and study aids like First Aid and Kaplan are much more useful for USMLE Step 1 than COMLEX Level 1.