How Many EM Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stiffany

Hurry up and wait...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it looks like EM has (again) been more competitive this year. Since that's the case, does the following from Desparado's 2004 thread on how to apply to EM (great post - a sticky) still apply?

Next step, also to be done in August, is to decide how many programs you need to apply to. Here are some rough guidelines.

Student A: Step I 250, EM grade Honors, Student Body President
15-30 programs

Student B: Step I 215, EM grade High Pass, EMIG President
30-40 programs

Student C: Step I 182, EM grade Pass, Golf Handicap 7.
40-50 programs

[QUOTE\]

I guess I'm wondering, for someone in that middle group (Step 1 a little below average, Step 2 way above average, honors and high passes to date), what's the new application number?

Members don't see this ad.

So it looks like EM has (again) been more competitive this year. Since that's the case, does the following from Desparado's 2004 thread on how to apply to EM (great post - a sticky) still apply?

Next step, also to be done in August, is to decide how many programs you need to apply to. Here are some rough guidelines.

Student A: Step I 250, EM grade Honors, Student Body President
15-30 programs

Student B: Step I 215, EM grade High Pass, EMIG President
30-40 programs

Student C: Step I 182, EM grade Pass, Golf Handicap 7.
40-50 programs

I guess I'm wondering, for someone in that middle group (Step 1 a little below average, Step 2 way above average, honors and high passes to date), what's the new application number?

I don't think its changed that much. All the program directors I've spoken to (granted all on the West Coast) don't seem to feel there are really that many more applicants this year, or a significant change in the level of competitiveness in EM. Applicants are just applying to more programs.

I always thought those numbers were over inflated. At least for the first two.

I would say even now its more like:
Student A: 15-30 programs
Student B: 20-30 programs
Student C: 50+ programs

There just isn't that much difference between those first two students in my opinion.

You need to rank at least 10 programs
To rank 10 you need to attend 10-12 interviews (minimum)
Which means you need to be offered 10-17 interviews
How many you need to apply to in order to get that many interviews is probably most dependent on your Step 1/2 score. If you are above average then 15-25 will probably do, if you are average then 20-30 will do, if you are very below average then you probably need to be applying to 50+ programs and hoping you catch someone's eye. But I think that would be true no matter what specialty you were applying to as some do screens on numbers alone.

Yes extracurriculars matter, but numbers are what they see first and are probably the most predictable factor. Which is what we're trying to do: predict how many programs to apply to.

OP - I conducted the SDN student surveys to answer this exact question. You can find the survey results by following the links in my signature.

To answer your question, just match up your stats to the different graphs (Step I, II, grades, and so on) and estimate your application's effectiveness (AE, # of interview offers received / # of applications sent out). Then divide your target # of interviews by your AR to get an estimate of how many applications you need to send out.

For the the usual 10 interviews, the average applicant (AE ~ 0.50) would need to send out 20 applications:

(10 / 0.50) = 20

Everyone else - I am planning on conducting a 2011 SDN Matchitis survey, so stay tuned!

OP -
To answer your question, just match up your stats to the different graphs (Step I, II, grades, and so on) and estimate your application's effectiveness (AE, # of interview offers received / # of applications sent out). Then divide your target # of interviews by your AR to get an estimate of how many applications you need to send out.

Thanks guys. Someone should make an application Ouija board or a Magic 8 ball!