How many hours do Psych doctors work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zyvox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours do Psych doctors put in after completing their residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen 45-55 hrs as fairly typical. Of course, there will always be outlyers.

Due to the high demand and relatively low maintenance (compared to other fields of medicine) of psyche patients, the hrs can be what you want.

You can just do consults, and in some hospitals the hrs for those are great, less than 40/week (again, depends on the hospital).
You can do locum--usually you'll work normal days, but you'll have a lot of days off in between if you desire.

Or you can work as much as you possible can to rake in the cash.

I have seen several situations where psychiatrists don't have to work a 40 hr week, but can work as much as they possibly can if they desire.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of pay are we talking for those who work about 40 hours a week? I won't lie. I want to have a family and money will play a factor in the specialties I like the most.

140s on the low end. It depends on the insurance of your patients and your overhead. If you're established with paying patients, you can make double or triple that figure.

Uh... triple that (420k) is on the very high end. I'm sure there are some private practice docs that work a lot of hours or churn out a high volume of patients in quick sessions to make that much, but most I know in their own practices are in the 100s to 200s.

Pick the field because you're interested in psychiatry, not for the lifestyle. It can be emotionally draining or intellectually boring to see dozens of mentally ill patients day in and day out, if that's not where your passion lies.

Positivepsych,

You're hanging with the wrong psychiatrists :laugh: