how many hours studying per week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiggabot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm comparing how much studying the different specialties have. How many hours of studying do ophtho residents typically put in per week?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is really dependent on the resident. I know some of my co-residents hardly ever studied. Some studied a lot. Personally, in the few months leading up to OKAPS I would generally study 2-3 hours a day on weekdays and on weekends about 4-6 hours a day. During non OKAP times? Probably a few hours a week (would mostly read about things concerning patients)

This sounds about right. I am ending my first year now and the first six months was spent learning terminology, reading topics I had learned about in clinic as well as reading about surgeries the night before. Around January, I started a more structured reading schedule. Some have said to read a little every night, which can help if it is focused reading.

I think it is really dependent on the resident. I know some of my co-residents hardly ever studied. Some studied a lot. Personally, in the few months leading up to OKAPS I would generally study 2-3 hours a day on weekdays and on weekends about 4-6 hours a day. During non OKAP times? Probably a few hours a week (would mostly read about things concerning patients)

Members don't see this ad :)
To become an excellent clinical ophthalmologist, some programs require little study. The pathology simply is before you each day. Attendings give you all the pearls. Some programs may lack either patients or attending involvement and reading becomes more important.

To become an scorer on the OKAPS will take some study. Again the amount of study can differ between programs. At our program you can score well on the okaps by turning it on 2 months before the test because the remainder of the year gives you the background.

Rain or shine, I try to read an hour a day, no matter what. I read more before the OKAPS.