How many hrs (Poll)?

Started by hzma
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

How many avg hrs/week do/did u work during AP rotation?


  • Total voters
    32

hzma

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So how many hours do/did you work? On a regular AP rotation (during residency)?
 
I assumed by "regular AP rotation" you meant surgpath. On autopsy it was much more like 40 hrs.
 
Autopsy - 50 hrs a week
Surg path - 60 to 70 hrs a week
Gyn - anywhere from 50 to 70 hrs a week
Elective rotations - usually around 50 hrs a week
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Autopsy: 35 to 45
Surg path: 70 (the upper levels work much less)
Cytology: 40
Dermpath: Haven't done it yet, but others have worked around 40.
 
Autopsy: 45-55
Derm: 40-50
CP: depends on elective obviously, but heme is usually the longest at 55-65
SurgPath: 60-75
 
Wow. I am shocked that a UCSFer works more than 70 hours a week? Has the specimen volume gone up? What's going on there? This is news to us.

The reason I'm asking is that I almost ranked UCSF #1 thinking that I would be working a lot less hours and would have time to cultivate research activities during residency. But...wow, I'm really surprised.
 
Wow. I am shocked that a UCSFer works more than 70 hours a week? Has the specimen volume gone up? What's going on there? This is news to us.

The reason I'm asking is that I almost ranked UCSF #1 thinking that I would be working a lot less hours and would have time to cultivate research activities during residency. But...wow, I'm really surprised.

??? M: you referring to my post? i'm at stanford, not ucsf. but yah, occasionally do hit 70, esp. as a newbie 1st year. But you know what, i loved working. Sure you are sometimes tired, but the friendly and collegial ambiance we have is priceless i tell you. I'd honestly say i'd pick several attendings as god-parents. residents here truly make it fun to come to work too.
 
??? M: you referring to my post? i'm at stanford, not ucsf. but yah, occasionally do hit 70, esp. as a newbie 1st year. But you know what, i loved working. Sure you are sometimes tired, but the friendly and collegial ambiance we have is priceless i tell you. I'd honestly say i'd pick several attendings as god-parents. residents here truly make it fun to come to work too.

No, I'm not referring to you. I know you're at Stanford. Say hi to BM for me.