How many hydrogen bonds can hydrogen fluoride make?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echyung

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Water makes 4 hydrogen bonds, but hydrogen fluoride only makes 2?

Members don't see this ad.

Water is unique that it can make a hexagonal crystalline structure with 4 hydrogen bonds. Not all molecules with potential lone electrons can make hydrogen bonds. HF makes a linear zig-zag structure with 2 hydrogen bonds. This has to do with the density, molecular weight, and size of the molecule. You can determine this by looking at a phase diagram, which a left tilted solid/liquid phase line will signify extended Hydrogen bonding.

Water is unique that it can make a hexagonal crystalline structure with 4 hydrogen bonds. Not all molecules with potential lone electrons can make hydrogen bonds. HF makes a linear zig-zag structure with 2 hydrogen bonds. This has to do with the density, molecular weight, and size of the molecule. You can determine this by looking at a phase diagram, which a left tilted solid/liquid phase line will signify extended Hydrogen bonding.

yep, that left tilted solid/liquid phase line for water is also why in isothermal conditions and increasing pressure, water condenses from solid ice to liquid water. for most substances, condensing in isothermal T and increasing P=liquid---->solid but not for good ol' H2O!

Last edited:
isn't it the other way around? at the same temp, increasing pressure on water makes it go from solid to liquid, and for most other substances increasing pressure goes from liquid to solid...

hence the iceskater example

isn't it the other way around? at the same temp, increasing pressure on water makes it go from solid to liquid, and for most other substances increasing pressure goes from liquid to solid...

hence the iceskater example

yeah, sorry, I corrected it. I had it right in my head but worded it wrong in my original post hehe