How many IM prelim/TY programs should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mynameiswhatmy

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am at a top 5 school, Step 1: 233, two IM pubs, one subspecialty pub, five posters, some leadership positions - just trying to figure out how many programs to apply to! Do I stand a chance at the prestigious prelim programs (BWH, Yale, etc.)? Do I stand a chance at any TY programs? My goal is just to have a non-malignant experience, I would be happy with either lots of elective time or less elective time in exchange for more learning/experience.
 
I am at a top 5 school, Step 1: 233, two IM pubs, one subspecialty pub, five posters, some leadership positions - just trying to figure out how many programs to apply to! Do I stand a chance at the prestigious prelim programs (BWH, Yale, etc.)? Do I stand a chance at any TY programs? My goal is just to have a non-malignant experience, I would be happy with either lots of elective time or less elective time in exchange for more learning/experience.


I'm with you - no clue. I'm probably doing 10-12 because I'm 99.9% sure I can count on matching prelim IM at my home institution, which is fine with me. Plus my field (ophtho) is moving towards integrated PGY1s anyways, so there's a good chance I won't need the separate match

What field are you applying to?