How many in cohort?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinkSoil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started yesterday (whooohoooo).

I am entering as a year II student... which means that I join the year II students who were year I last year... so it is two cohorts now making one.

There were nine of us accepted as year II students. There are 11 existing students who just moved up from year I... so that makes a total year II cohort of 20 that will be together for the next 23,343,207 years or so.

I guess it will take awhile for the two groups to mesh, as the 11 of them have already been together for one year, and the nine of us were together the whole day for orientation, so we began to form some sort of bond being the entering yr. II students.

How large are your cohorts? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

My school has five students in each year. My cohort (we're going into second year) is five girls. It makes for a fun and dramatic time, haha.

ours is 16 which feels on one hand a little big, but on the other hand it's nice that you're almost assured to really like at least one student. i'm a non-trad, so among out 16 there are a few others in my boat, which may not have happened with a smaller cohort. still those small intimate ones look cool too.

regardless, my previous uni had 50k students, and our smallest classes had 15 students (intro to psych -- 800), so 16 will feel quite intimate.

Members don't see this ad :)
My original cohort was three, we eventually grew to a total of seven.

I graduated with two of them last year, leaving four left who are ABDing like rockstars...

Mine was 6 (last year), this year's was 7.

My cohort started with 8 students last year, and we are now down to 6 for the upcoming year.

Mine is at 7, they keep telling us that its large (usually they accept 6). The thing that's weird about my cohort is that there are 4 guys and 3 gals.

BTW, speaking of the word "cohort", the first time I said that term around non-psych people, they told me it sounded dirty :D

We've got 7. Its about ideal for me. Go too far in either direction and discussions start to stink. Its just not practical in large classes, and in small classes I feel like its less productive since people feel pressure to talk even when they don't have anything useful to say.

For those of you with larger cohorts - do they keep you all together (for core courses that is), or are you split up? Are those classes ever discussion based, or do profs do a lot of lecturing?

We are 18 DPsy and 23 PhD in clinical psychology this year which from what I read seems a whole lot now :oops: I'm not sure about the Phd in psychology though, I'd guess 3 to 5. We are something like 200 graduate students at my university, only doctorate-level too since we don't even have any master anymore.

I can't wait for it to begin, it's going to be incredibly nice! :love: I also learned today that we will assess/evaluate/diagnose real clients as soon as the first practicum, which makes it even better.

wow, we have 18. 4 of them came over with profs that just got hired at my university and they all already have their Masters. In my section (clinical health) there are 7 of us.

I'm in a Social PhD, starting...well, tomorrow, I suppose.

Unless I'm mistaken, my cohort is two. Me, and the one person I really got along with well during the interviews.

I'm in a Social PhD, starting...well, tomorrow, I suppose.

Unless I'm mistaken, my cohort is two. Me, and the one person I really got along with well during the interviews.

that's a small cohort! how do classes work?

If it's like the social psych at my school, classes work by not existing. You lucky non-clinical/counseling folk...

Where I go, there are small classes which are given to 4-6 students. If there's not enough people that want to attend a class, they cancel it and give it another year when there's enough people.

We have 16 in my cohort. The first 1-2 years, the introductory classes are broken into 2 sections, to keep the sizes manageable. After that it just sorts itself out, as people settle into their own tracks based on their interests.

I think my program might win in largest class...my year has 70 something PsyD and about 20 of us PhD. We are broken up into groups for our classes, usually about 20-25 people per class.

For a university based program (I don't believe it's considered a professional school in the same way the term is used here), it seems huge, but that's partially because there are over 30 full time clinical faculty, plus several adjunct faculty members.

There are 22 to 24 of us in my forensic psych program. We're split for first year core classes, so my largest class has about 14 students. Professional school or not, I'm here to tell ya' that this program is intense! :hungover:

After talking to 3rd, 4th, and even 2nd year students, I am thoroughly impressed by the practicum or internship work they're doing, as well as their confidence in the skills they've acquired thus far. :woot:

There are 8 students (including me) in this year's cohort. I think the program usually accepts 7 or 8 each year.

My cohort has 9 people (myself included) though three already have a masters so there's 6 true first years and 3 that are somewhere between 1st and 3rd year students :p