How many interviews to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DirtyJustice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel that I am a very good applicant and have interviewed at a lot of amazing programs (hopkins, mgh, ucsf, etc), but my question is how many do I have to do to make sure I match?

I understand that this may be some neuroticism, but I am a little worried that my list is quite top heavy and don't know if I am doing enough interviews given how highly competitive the programs are.

I'm currently sitting at around 12 interviews. Should I cancel the rest that I don't want to rank highly?

(I'm also getting tired of interviewing)

Members don't see this ad.

I feel that I am a very good applicant and have interviewed at a lot of amazing programs (hopkins, mgh, ucsf, etc), but my question is how many do I have to do to make sure I match?

I understand that this may be some neuroticism, but I am a little worried that my list is quite top heavy and don't know if I am doing enough interviews given how highly competitive the programs are.

I'm currently sitting at around 12 interviews. Should I cancel the rest that I don't want to rank highly?

(I'm also getting tired of interviewing)

You're going to match. I think that if you have some reach programs and then some that aren't a reach, plus some safety programs you're good. If you're happy with your top 3 and don't feel that the remaining interviews will change your top 5 or so, cancel them... Free them up for someone who might actually want to go to that program. It's selfish to keep interviews if you have no intention of going to that program after a certain point.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I think it really depends on what your list looks like at 6-12. Do you have a few places that are slightly less competitive by virtue of location (south, midwest) or slightly out of the top tier reputation? Or does your list look like the top 12 programs in country?

Members don't see this ad :)
Had concerns similar to those of OP last year. PM me for details but I wouldn't worry too much. If you're gregarious you'll be fine, if you're a weird robot it wouldn't matter if you interviewed at 20 places, you're still gonna have a hard time. They wouldn't have invited you if they didn't think you were good enough to be there. Alternatively, "safeties" may be less likely to rank you highly cause they will know they're your safety.

Had concerns similar to those of OP last year. PM me for details but I wouldn't worry too much. If you're gregarious you'll be fine, if you're a weird robot it wouldn't matter if you interviewed at 20 places, you're still gonna have a hard time. They wouldn't have invited you if they didn't think you were good enough to be there. Alternatively, "safeties" may be less likely to rank you highly cause they will know they're your safety.

I've never understood this. Do programs have a different ranking cost or something? We're always told to put our favorite program at 1...Why wouldn't a program do that with applicants as well?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I've never understood this. Do programs have a different ranking cost or something? We're always told to put our favorite program at 1...Why wouldn't a program do that with applicants as well?

You might think, right? The truth is somewhere in between. There are some really amazing applicants out there, and honestly, most programs will rank them high.

Then you get to the middle, where there are a lot of solid applicants with AOA, high step scores, and good medical schools but otherwise no major distinguishing features. A good program could interview 40-50 people that are pretty similar. There is a notion that the residents will be happier and perform better if you really wanted to come there, so out of those similar people it's better to take the people who are interested.

Do I agree with this approach? Not necessarily, but you need some way to distinguish between people who are more or less the same and will all be good radiology residents. That's why it's extremely important if you are interviewing in a different region to do your homework. Research what is good about the program and city. If you can talk in an educated fashion about why you want to go to a place, then it's better than not caring where you end up.

as many as you can afford and can take physically/mentally. I went to 11 interviews.... which 95% of people would lead to a good outcome.

Yeah I don't really understand it either, but I know it's real. Had a chief at one big name place tell me it does make a small difference and that it's mostly an ego thing, at least at that program. I do think it would probably be better to have a solid, well rounded applicant who is psyched to have matched there than the best guy/gal that interviewed all season but is miserable for 4 years cause they matched at #8 and not #1.

Yeah I don't really understand it either, but I know it's real. Had a chief at one big name place tell me it does make a small difference and that it's mostly an ego thing, at least at that program. I do think it would probably be better to have a solid, well rounded applicant who is psyched to have matched there than the best guy/gal that interviewed all season but is miserable for 4 years cause they matched at #8 and not #1.

Exactly my thoughts. I believe this precisely, and have been told by a number of programs that it matters. Again it's not going to make you go from last to first, but it will definitely move you up a few spots if they like you and they know you like them at certain programs. I think it makes sense too.

What I don't know is do you send everyone you interviewed at a note, or mostly the PD? At some places I interviewed with like 5 people, so it would seem overkill to write 5 ty's.

as many as you can afford and can take physically/mentally. I went to 11 interviews.... which 95% of people would lead to a good outcome.

I never understood that. I read that you posted this before and that you had to scramble. Perhaps you somehow screwed up your rank list somehow? Was it certified? Did you make it appropriately? It's very unusual for someone that is a strong applicant with 10+ interviews not to match, particularly given that rads has been much lower on the competitive scale for a while now. Unless you have a terrible personality or interview horribly, which seems unlikely, it's very unusual. But I do agree that most people should go on as many interviews as they can.

I never understood that. I read that you posted this before and that you had to scramble. Perhaps you somehow screwed up your rank list somehow? Was it certified? Did you make it appropriately? It's very unusual for someone that is a strong applicant with 10+ interviews not to match, particularly given that rads has been much lower on the competitive scale for a while now. Unless you have a terrible personality or interview horribly, which seems unlikely, it's very unusual. But I do agree that most people should go on as many interviews as they can.

I am pretty sure my list was certified fine. I ask myself this question every day... why I didn't match in the original match? As much as I am grateful and happy I finally got into a program, I still have that "consolation prize" feeling after all the time money and energy I put into the process. All I can say is that it may be a combination factors.... 1. SE programs interviewing more people after all the unfilled spots (all the programs I interviewed at were in the SE) the previous year, many of the programs I interviewed at are small-medium size (less spots relative to the programs I ranked = less probability), more competitive in the SE, many of the interview invites I got were late in the season from cancellations, and maybe other factors I don't know about. As for how my interviews went, I can only go by how I felt after long introspection. I felt like my interviews went well. Had some fantastic conversation with attendings and residents.

In the end, things happen for a reason.

I went on 15...all of the ones I was offered. Didn't want to go through match and have to SOAP looking back at "I should've gone to that interview..." Didn't need to SOAP thankfully and am glad I still went on all as it gave me a good idea on places I may want to do fellowship (not just based on program, but also cities I'd want to live in).

On a happier note, I got my acceptance letter today from my program. Gotta sign and send it back. :)