how many is too many- LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkiepoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many letters of recommendation are you sending? If you are doing a committee letter, how many are you sending to your committee? how many is too many?

Members don't see this ad.

How many letters of recommendation are you sending? If you are doing a committee letter, how many are you sending to your committee? how many is too many?
AADSAS only allows 4 this year.

AADSAS may only allow 4, but you can submit more to schools directly.

I think 3-5 is good.
6 is pushing it
7 is too many

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you have enough to cover the specific requirements for each school before you apply. Some schools have uncommon requests - like Loma Linda - if you won't be able to get the LORs needed then you can save some $$ up front.

what if your sending a committee letter? would 4+ LOR be okay to give to the committee?

If you know you will be able to get very strong letters, I'd submit 4. Any more seems like it would be too many. At least: 1bio, 1chem, 1 dentist, and maybe a prehealth advisor, another teacher, someone you have worked for or did research under (just something more personal). The first 3 covers most of the dental school's requirements for letters. Otherwise I think it would be overkill.

My school is sending a committee letter and I submitted 6 letters to them: 2 dentists, 2 science, 1 research, 1 non-science...each person that isn't a science prof knows me really really well...so I'm not sure if I'll send all 6 or just 5...still deciding...
-ld

i talked to one school that required 2) science 1) dental. they randomly select the fewest LORs that meets their requirement. it saved me the trouble of getting a non-science letter

bump...How many LOR's are too many???