How many joints??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we have in the human body????

Recently some people claimed that there are 360 joints, prior to 1995 there were 340. 20 joints were found in the ear.

can anyone confirm that there are 360 joints in the human body

The joint is a point of articulation of two bones, a bone and gristle, or two gristles in any part of the human body. Is this true?????

Members don't see this ad.

This should answer all your questions:

print_ad_joints_full.gif

First off. Google, wikipedia use them.

Second it is not called gristle in unless you are talking about in meat(or if referring to Throbbing Gristle), and I don't want to know if you are Hannibal Lecter or Dahmer.

Lastly, an adult has ~206 bones. If it takes two bones (or a bone and cartilage) to make a joint it would be hard to have much over 200 joints. The skull and the hand and foot both have a large number of joints (>1 per 2 bones) but the rest of the body is closer to 1 joint for every 1-2 bones.

You will find no religious doctrine support here. (for all the SND regulars, apparently the Koran states that the human body has 360 joints and there have been on going random people claiming it is true)
Which I don't even get the point of, Galen, the Greeks and the chinese studied anatomy long before the Koran was written....

Members don't see this ad :)
First off. Google, wikipedia use them.

Second it is not called gristle in unless you are talking about in meat(or if referring to Throbbing Gristle), and I don't want to know if you are Hannibal Lecter or Dahmer.

Lastly, an adult has ~206 bones. If it takes two bones (or a bone and cartilage) to make a joint it would be hard to have much over 200 joints. The skull and the hand and foot both have a large number of joints (>1 per 2 bones) but the rest of the body is closer to 1 joint for every 1-2 bones.

You will find no religious doctrine support here. (for all the SND regulars, apparently the Koran states that the human body has 360 joints and there have been on going random people claiming it is true)
Which I don't even get the point of, Galen, the Greeks and the chinese studied anatomy long before the Koran was written....

Have a look at this, i did my research

http://nooran.org/C/M1/1.htm

Thanks for a link that I have to translate.

as I said at the end Anatomy was studied for hundreds of years before so even if there are 360 joint I don't know what that proves.

2-INTERVERTEBRAL JOINTS 69

There are 24 intervertebral spaces with 3 joints each. (if you want to count each articular surface as a joint) meaning there are 72 "joints"

So no I don't believe that page.

I think that this is more of a "General Residency Issue" or Orthopaedics than a Pathology issue. I think we should move this thread over there. ;)

BTW, does it really matter how many joints there are? Just hope you don't have to have one replaced...

There is truely only one acceptable correct answer to the OP's question, and that is: Who Cares?

I think Gut Shot had the right answer all along... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.