How many letters of rec?

Started by Kalogada
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kalogada

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
How many letters of recommendations should be submitted to psych programs? And what should the breakdown be?
 
The wisdom I received from advisors was that you only need three, but when I applied last year I unexpectedly found that there were a few programs I really liked (Cambridge Health Alliance comes to mind) that required four.
 
Three is the ask for the vast majority of psych programs. One really needs to be psych and 2 is better, many people say their program wants one non-psych, but is isn't uniform. Other specialties want one from a chair or one from a PD, but this is very rare in psych. ERAS does flag letters from chairs. As above, there are a few programs that want 4 letters. In this case, I would think that any less than 2 psych would be bad and any more than 3 would be bad.