How many LORs?

Started by drLexus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drLexus

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey!
Whats the ideal # of letters of recommendation that you guys recommend? I know one comes from the program director / medicine dept chair, but this letter is often very generic unless you've actually worked with the guy.

I plan on obtaining two solid letters from cardiologists that I've worked with and know very well.

Should I get a 4th letter? It will either be from a cardiologist who I know less personally, or from my outpatient clinic preceptor, who knows me well but is not a cardiologist.

What do you guys think? Should I go for the 4th letter or just leave it at 3 ? What is the ideal # of letters?
 
I got four letters (one was my PD, three were cardiologists) and submitted them to all the programs. Got plenty of invites. You'll be fine.

I was told to get all cards letters but I'm sure others have had non cardiology faculty write letters for them. Keep in mind that you want to remember your audience - hence having a cards letter probably holds more weight with another cardiologist.