How many LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnonyDream

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of my pre-dental friends tell me I need 4 letters of recommendation in order to submit my application for this cycle. But, I looked up a good amount of dental school requirements, and they usually consist of requiring 3. Thus, I have 3 LORs from my research professor, dentist, and science professor. My friends are making me worry as I don’t know who to ask for my last one (if necessary) especially since it’s the last week of finals already. Is the 4th one necessary for submitting the application, and if there are schools that require 4, would I be able to give them my application?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

For the schools that require 4, you will need 4 to be considered. However, none of the schools I applied to required 4. You need to look up each school that you plan on applying to and figure out their specific requirements for letters.

Several of the schools I applied to required 2 letters from science faculty/professors, meaning someone who taught you in a lecture or lab course. The research professor will most likely not qualify as a science professor, just in case any of the schools you apply to require 2 science professors. Although you do not need 4 letters to submit the application to schools, you need to make sure that the 3 letters you have fulfill each school's requirements. It's hard to say what you need without knowing which schools you are applying to.

Reactions: 1 users