How many medicine prelim interviews is enough?

Started by mcribbits
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mcribbits

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All,

My Neuro interviewing season has been going great, however one thing that I can't help thinking about is the number of medicine prelim interviews I have. I ended up having 6 medicine prelim interviews that went great but I know how competitive the prelim market has gotten. One of the programs I want to rank very highly is advanced and I would hate to match advanced and not have a prelim year lined up after the match.

Any prior Neuro applicants willing to share how their experience with where they matched on their prelim rank list?
 
Last edited:
I can tell you for my classmates going into Rad Onc - she was brilliant and got over 10 Radiation oncology interviews, but only 7 prelim interviews (including 1 "gimme" one at our home institution). She matched no. 2 for Rad Onc, but dead last rank #7 for prelim.

Prelim IM is extremely competitive since you are competition involve applicants from other much more competitive specialties.

This is why I went ONLY categorical for my residency application.