How many months before the test did you start studying?

Started by shantster
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shantster

Eye protection!
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a sophomore intending on taking the MCAT next April and I just went to my pre-med advisor to go over Fall classes for next year. He does not want me to take all the science classes that I want to take in the fall since he wants me to start studying for the MCATs right away. He even asked me if I had taken a practice test yet (over one year before the actual test) so that he could determine how much studying I need. Did anyone else have an advisor like this? And when did people begin studying?
 
shantster said:
I'm a sophomore intending on taking the MCAT next April and I just went to my pre-med advisor to go over Fall classes for next year. He does not want me to take all the science classes that I want to take in the fall since he wants me to start studying for the MCATs right away. He even asked me if I had taken a practice test yet (over one year before the actual test) so that he could determine how much studying I need. Did anyone else have an advisor like this? And when did people begin studying?

Most people begin the January before the April exam. However, if you feel you will need to not cram everything into 3 months, some courses may start in October. This is much more spread out, but it allows people to stay up on the material and review much more if they are really efficient.

See TPR's website. Kaplan probably has the same thing.
Cya!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The first time i took it, I started in February before the April test.

This time i'm taking it, i started 6 weeks before the test....also keep in mind that i finished all my upper leverl bio classes, took the test before, and haven't had any major distractions (I.E. school)
 
This advisor of yours is not a professional MCAT instructor, and he really is not giving you good advice. A year in advance? No way in hell. You would be hopelessly burned out by the time you got to the MCAT.

Do some searching around this forum and you will find more discussion.

I would encourage you to arrange your schedule so that you have a very light load during the semester of the MCAT (as light as you can get away with). Allocate plenty of time for studying. Start in January (November at the very earliest) and be very disciplined. If you do not feel ready for April, take in August instead. Delay your application for a year if necessary. There is no need to give over your life to the MCAT now - it will only be counterproductive. Save that advance prep for the USMLE Step 1.