Feeling unsure about my decisions while studying for MCAT

Started by KALSU
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KALSU

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi sdn forums, I'm almost done with my degree in biochemistry and have been studying for MCAT for roughly more than 3 months, and have exam schedules in less than a month from now. a month ago, when I finished all content review and doing UWorld, CP and BB are pretty good, I think, averaging from 75-85% for sets of 59Q. My CARS and PS section were not as good, it's even considering bad where I keep getting below average on both of the sections CARS and PS, maybe the way I study is wrong. Also I did 2 of FL1 and 2 from AAMC, it's been so far and has been a long time of studying, and my CARS and PS are not improving between the 2 FLs, I think I really need help, any advice would be great, thank you
 
Okay, I'm assuming your test is now in probably about a week, so obviously there isn't much you can do (and hopefully things have improved!) but here's what I'll say (from someone also taking the test in about a week)

Psych/Soc: Just find a way to cram definitions. Make your own Anki cards or use a prebuilt deck, read through a compilation, anything like that. Look at your old tests and check every P/S question - what terms (specifically in the answer choices) do you not know the definition for? Make a flashcard or look up a definition. If you do this for a few tests worth of passages you'll have a pretty decent idea of what topics you'll be confronted with. There is definitely critical thinking in reading the passages but that's not possible without the definitions, and some questions are freebies if you know the definitions (especially if you eliminate choices)

CARS: I feel like the majority of errors you can make in cars are either missing something in the passage (skimmed over or misread) or errors of "extrapolation", and I think the second is more common. The right answer is rarely the one that looks "superficially" correct. You have to actually think about the relationship described. Maybe a passage is talking about a plumber, and what it's like to work with pipes, and then it'll ask you "Which job is most similar to that of being a plumber as described in the passage?" and then the answer will end up being cardiologist, because they wanted you thinking about pipes. The easiest error to make here is pick the answer that says "construction worker", or something like that, because you were focused on the superficial.

CARS wants you to behave as if you have no outside knowledge of the subject. It's easier, in my experience, to mess up on a passage you know about because you're going to start inferring things, making reasonable, calculated judgements and guesses, but they expect you to do this and will have answers to "trap" you if you start drifting away from what the passage actually says.

I think if anything would be able to make noticeable, maaybe a few points, differents it's these two things. But just my opinion!

Good luck on your test!
 
Your CP and BB are solid. 75-85% on UWorld is nothing to sneeze at. The problem is CARS and PS. For CARS, stop treating it like a science passage. It's not. It's about comprehension and main ideas. Read actively. Predict the author's tone. For PS, it's a vocab and application test. Drill the terms and understand the experiments. Also, don't get discouraged by AAMC FLs. They're hard. Use them to learn, not to judge yourself.