How many MSTP programs to apply to/interview at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imMD2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got my MCAT score and my LizzyM score is 81.5. (3.95 GPA, 42 MCAT 15B14P13V). I go to a top 5 college known for grade deflation. I only have 1 journal publication and 1 abstract (working currently on manuscript which includes abstract research and then also a review paper). I've been involved in the same research field for 5 years.

An advisor recently told me to apply to 10 schools. This doesn't seem like enough and I had around 30 places on my list. I feel like I will probably be overwhelmed by secondaries if I apply to this many, but I'm worried about how competitive MSTPs are. I think I'm a competitive applicant but I am also a junior in college and don't have the number of publications or research experience that I see a lot of people on here have.

The next question is, if I get a bunch of interviews (*hoping*), how many interviews should an MSTP applicant go on?

Thank you for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is for a friend who is applying right now. I apologize that you think I'm trolling. I have absolutely no reason to do that. You will also see I posted earlier in a thread about MCAT test dates this year for him as well.

If you have any advice, I would truly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is for a friend who is applying right now. I apologize that you think I'm trolling. I have absolutely no reason to do that. You will also see I posted earlier in a thread about MCAT test dates this year for him as well.

I can't see that because you recently restricted your profile. Apply to ~15 programs and hope for/expect 50%+ interview invites with those stats. Most applicants do not have publications. Why on earth would you think 5 years research experience is inadequate?

Reactions: 1 user

Tell him to get his own account. That's the best advice.

Reactions: 3 users