How many OD's to shadow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted878916

I've shadowed one optometrist at a private practice last semester for about 20 hours and have gotten a LOR from him. I wanted to shadow at least 2 more but I've been calling places and they've been giving me twisted and weird directions. Like one place told me to leave a voicemail for the office manager and he never called me back. A local America's Best told me to call this 1-800 number and arrange it through corporate (???).

I'm currently studying for the OAT and I wanted to know if I could just put this off until after I submit applications and take the OAT. Is there anywhere in the application that I can just put down that I am planning on shadowing more optometrists before the end of December? Or does it look bad that I've only shadowed one so far? My goal is to submit everything by Oct 31 but not sure how this would impact that

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest going in person to ask to shadow. I emailed several places and never got a reply. I went in person and was able to shadow every single one except America's Best. When asking to shadow, it is important to say how long you want to shadow that day. Keep it brief (<4 hours). Your presence can slow them down. After you finish shadowing, ask if you can shadow again at another date.

I also suggest shadowing in different settings such as a retail (Walmart), VA, or group practice (optometrists and ophthalmologists).

You can submit your application and shadow after you finish your OAT. After you take your OAT, it will still take about 2 weeks to verify your score. OptomCAS allows you to add shadowing experiences after submitting it.

I am an RN, and have had no trouble whatsoever shadowing MDs, but for some reason, I can't find a single OD willing to let me shadow.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can try a different approach in asking to shadow. When you approach the office manager/front desk, say that you are a student and that you would like to ask the optometrist questions during their break. Have a list of questions ready such as what they like/dislike about optometry. After asking questions, then ask if you can shadow briefly. Even if they say no, smile and thank them for their time. Then, try another location. Out of five places that I asked with this method, four said yes.

I once tried to shadow at a group private practice that had many locations. I went to the one closest to me and asked to shadow. They said that they needed approval from upper management, and that they will call me back. After not hearing from them from over a week, I drove to their main office and got approval from their upper management. Although this required more effort, the experience was worth it.

Remember that they have nothing to gain by letting you shadow so at least try to bring them positive vibes by smiling and laughing when appropriate (happiness can be contagious).

Reactions: 1 user
You can try a different approach in asking to shadow. When you approach the office manager/front desk, say that you are a student and that you would like to ask the optometrist questions during their break. Have a list of questions ready such as what they like/dislike about optometry. After asking questions, then ask if you can shadow briefly. Even if they say no, smile and thank them for their time. Then, try another location. Out of five places that I asked with this method, four said yes.

I once tried to shadow at a group private practice that had many locations. I went to the one closest to me and asked to shadow. They said that they needed approval from upper management, and that they will call me back. After not hearing from them from over a week, I drove to their main office and got approval from their upper management. Although this required more effort, the experience was worth it.

Remember that they have nothing to gain by letting you shadow so at least try to bring them positive vibes by smiling and laughing when appropriate (happiness can be contagious).
This is exactly what I do, but when I even ask if I can ask them questions they say they don’t have time. And they say I’m not allowed in the back for “privacy concerns”. The receptionists are nice and excited to ask the OD, who always decline. They say it’s for “privacy reasons”. To which I say, “Yes ma’am/sir I understand HIPAA, I am a registered nurse in this state. They claim it’s above them and that they don’t have a choice.

Meanwhile physicians will even let me observe surgeries and share patient cases with me. I really don’t understand it. Some physicians groups had to require me do a little HIPAA class first, but I’ve never been turned down.

Last edited:
I think it's fine if you apply with having only shadowed one optometrist. I only shadowed two when I applied and then shadowed three more after submitting. You can always update your optometry experience after submitting in Optomcas.