How many of you use blunt suture needles?

Started by FACS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FACS

jolly good fellow
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just read the following statement from the ACS on blunt suture needles. Apparantly it's the official view of the ACS. Seems like a good idea to me, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen these things at my institution. The closest I've seen is surgeons clipping the point off needles themselves before they close. Do any of you use them? What are they like?






"Cuts or needle-stick injuries occur in 1% - 15% of operations. The most common cause of suture needle injury is suturing fascia, during which 59% of all suture needle injuries occur.

Blunt suture needles permit suturing of fascia and other structures with minimal risk of injuring the surgeon, even when the surgeon's glove is punctured. All published studies to date have demonstrated that the use of blunt suture needles can substantially reduce or eliminate needle-stick injuries from surgical needles.

The ACS supports the universal adoption of blunt suture needles as the first choice for fascial suturing to minimize or eliminate needle-stick injuries from surgical needles. Blunt suture needles should be available in various sizes and with a range of suture adequate for different surgical applications.

The ACS encourages further investigation of blunt suture needles for use in other surgical applications."
 
FACS said:
I just read the following statement from the ACS on blunt suture needles. Apparantly it's the official view of the ACS. Seems like a good idea to me, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen these things at my institution. The closest I've seen is surgeons clipping the point off needles themselves before they close. Do any of you use them? What are they like?






"Cuts or needle-stick injuries occur in 1% - 15% of operations. The most common cause of suture needle injury is suturing fascia, during which 59% of all suture needle injuries occur.

Blunt suture needles permit suturing of fascia and other structures with minimal risk of injuring the surgeon, even when the surgeon's glove is punctured. All published studies to date have demonstrated that the use of blunt suture needles can substantially reduce or eliminate needle-stick injuries from surgical needles.

The ACS supports the universal adoption of blunt suture needles as the first choice for fascial suturing to minimize or eliminate needle-stick injuries from surgical needles. Blunt suture needles should be available in various sizes and with a range of suture adequate for different surgical applications.

The ACS encourages further investigation of blunt suture needles for use in other surgical applications."

I've seen this data set referred to numerous times; but i've never actually SEEN a blunt suture needle :meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Roux-en-Y said:
I've seen this data set referred to numerous times; but i've never actually SEEN a blunt suture needle :meanie:
there's a big push at hopkins right now to start using them. but i didn't see them used yet.