How many of your secondaries did you actually finish?

I applied to ~35 MD/DO schools total, but I'm just so damn sick of filling out these stupid secondaries that I don't feel like finishing them all. So far I've finished 28 and I feel like that's enough. My first interview is in three weeks and I feel like preparing for that should be higher priority now. How many of the schools you originally applied to did you all end up completely finishing?

Inspired Chaos

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I did 6/8. Of the two I'm not completing, one was too much of a reach and the other was too far away.

OP

I did 6/8. Of the two I'm not completing, one was too much of a reach and the other was too far away.
There were a couple I applied to that I unknowingly didn't meet the LoR requirements for and two more that I missed the oldest acceptable MCAT cutoff for BY 1 F*CKING MONTH.

hubbsbubbs

2+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
i submitted 39 out of 40 and i'm itching for more. wish i could apply to twenty more schools. i'm loving writing these essays. not sarcastic

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: CUatthefinishline

DBC03

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Florida
www.thegracefuldwelling.com
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'm hoping to finish all, but three schools screen and I've only gotten past one so far...

I, too, am a little burnt on writing, but I also took an intensive writing class this summer. So 30+ secondaries and a lot of other writing assignments means I'll be happy to get back to just studying for exams next semester.

hubbsbubbs

2+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical

CUatthefinishline

2+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2015
Status
I have applied to 27, gotten 22 secondaries (still waiting on few), submitted 13 (letters, photos, etc.), and I am complete at 8 schools currently. 1 rejection so far, and 1 school that I am definitely not submitting a secondary to at all.

I was pretty pumped when I started, with a "give it my all" mentality, but I'm starting to get bored with the waiting. I had a list of 10 core schools, but everywhere else I applied is based on stats, mission statements, and faculty recommendations so my investment with the remaining schools' secondaries is initially pretty low.

I also pre-wrote a lot of secondaries, and I just spend my time between paychecks until I can submit more. It's definitely a marathon. I plan to do as many as I can before the end of September (maybe even add 3 more schools), then take what I can :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DBC03

DBC03

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Florida
Status
I have applied to 27, gotten 22 secondaries (still waiting on few), submitted 13 (letters, photos, etc.), and I am complete at 8 schools currently. 1 rejection so far, and 1 school that I am definitely not submitting a secondary to at all.

I was pretty pumped when I started, with a "give it my all" mentality, but I'm starting to get bored with the waiting. I had a list of 10 core schools, but everywhere else I applied is based on stats, mission statements, and faculty recommendations so my investment with the remaining schools' secondaries is initially pretty low.

I also pre-wrote a lot of secondaries, and I just spend my time between paychecks until I can submit more. It's definitely a marathon. I plan to do as many as I can before the end of September (maybe even add 3 more schools), then take what I can :)
The paycheck issue is spot-on. We managed to get an interest-free credit card, but not all schools let me use it. I know we can pay it off at the end of the year, but I'm having a difficult time submitting secondaries to the schools that don't accept that credit card as I don't want the fees on the same month. Part of this is a financial/numbers game.

CUatthefinishline

2+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2015
Status
The paycheck issue is spot-on. We managed to get an interest-free credit card, but not all schools let me use it. I know we can pay it off at the end of the year, but I'm having a difficult time submitting secondaries to the schools that don't accept that credit card as I don't want the fees on the same month. Part of this is a financial/numbers game.
I've been considering getting one of those to help speed up the process. Once you get past the test, rec letters, and primary app I think it's definitely a money issue. I can personally write all day, but I can't pull cash out of thin air lol

xochitl

2+ Year Member
May 2, 2016
Status
i have my doubts. i guess we'll see

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
how high is your mcat score? nevermind ignore clicked on your link and found out lol that score is crazy man

DBC03

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Florida
Status
I've been considering getting one of those to help speed up the process. Once you get past the test, rec letters, and primary app I think it's definitely a money issue. I can personally write all day, but I can't pull cash out of thin air lol
Ours gives us $250 cash back after spending $1000 in three months. I'm like, "I got this - no problem on the one grand."

boogiecousins94

2+ Year Member
May 16, 2017
Status
I got a jet blue credit card on purpose and put it all on it, you get airline points so free flights for one interview maybe, but if you sign up over the phone you get 10,000 points after first $1000 in 3 months

gonnif

Only 512 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Reactions: KdotLB

Carmiche

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I didn't do three for the following reasons:

Texas A&M: Required CASPER and had a long secondary. Not worth the extra loophole of having to take an additional and ridiculous standardized test; especially for a school I couldn't really see myself at.
Texas Tech El Paso: Could never see myself living in El Paso
UT RGV: Could never see myself living in Rio Grande Valley