How many optometry schools should I apply to? (and what are my chances)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ses4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just getting ready to submit my application but I'm second guessing the number of programs I'm applying to. The two that I am for sure applying to are PUCO and ICO. I was considering applying to SCCO and Midwestern (Glendale), but was unsure if it was really necessary. I guess I'm just wondering if applying to only two schools is a bad idea or not?

These are my stats if that helps any:

OAT Scores: 340 TS/330 AA (No scores below 320)
GPA: 3.846
I have a little over 30 hours of shadowing in addition to around 1200 hours working as a optometric technician/optician. My extracurriculars and volunteer work are pretty weak, but I was involved in pre-optometry club and an honor society (I am a little worried about this being a weak spot).

Members don't see this ad.

You should apply to the two schools you want to go to. You have a great shot at getting interviews at both with your stats. Unless you bomb your interviews you have a good chance at getting in. Good luck.

I think you have a great chance for acceptance with your stats even though some areas are a little weak. You're likely to get interview invites wherever you apply, so it's just a question of how many places you want to interview at. If you know you can do a decent interview, then just apply to the 2!