How many pedo programs to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentLvr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am interested in applying for pedo, but am not sure how many programs I need to apply to in order to have a chance at matching.

My board scores are 83 (new format). How many programs should I apply to?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on class rank, and where you want to attend residency, etc.

It's always safer to apply to many schools, and then if you get lots of interviews you can cut back on those. The cost of applying to lots of schools up front is worth it, in my mind, to hep ensure that you don't have to do a GPR for a year because you didn't match into pedo.

I totally agree with you. I am willing to apply to as many programs as it takes. I am pretty flexible as far as where I will apply, but mostly focusing on the east coast. How many is many? 10? 20? 30?

I am in an unranked program, but am guessing I am in the top 25%?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I am interested in applying for pedo, but am not sure how many programs I need to apply to in order to have a chance at matching.

My board scores are 83 (new format). How many programs should I apply to?

Thanks!

Apply to as many as you can afford to. The chairperson of the pedo program at my school told me to cast as wide a net as possible (i.e. apply to lots of programs) because it's getting super competitive. During the interview trail, I got the impression that more applicants with GPR and private practice experience are coming back to apply, thereby making it that much more competitive. I felt somewhat intimidated since there were some applicants with 5 years of private practice experience whereas I was just fresh out of school. I guess the applicants with experience are concerned that once the boards become pass/ fail then thier chances of getting in are not as great. If that is so, then the competition is only going to get worse. But all this is just my humble opinion. I am by no means the authority on pedo admissions. I'm just telling you what I saw and my thoughts on it. Take it for what it's worth.

I totally agree with you. I am willing to apply to as many programs as it takes. I am pretty flexible as far as where I will apply, but mostly focusing on the east coast. How many is many? 10? 20? 30?

I am in an unranked program, but am guessing I am in the top 25%?

I am interested in seeing what happens with you. Alot of programs need some kind of inclination of academic prowess. If you dont have a class rank and the "new board format" is your only tangible academic item, it might be tough.

I dont know if the programs around the country are really aware of the change in the way the board exam is.

I know our program really looks at board scores when an applicant goes to a school w/o a class rank. And an 83 on first glance is not as competative. I hope that the national board people send out a memo to programs explaining the new format.

I think a lot of the applicant taking the "new format" are going to suffer because of this.

To answer your first question, apply to as many places as you think you can afford. Remember, you also have to travel to these places for interview. It gets costly.

The more the merrier!:D

I dont know if the programs around the country are really aware of the change in the way the board exam is.

I know our program really looks at board scores when an applicant goes to a school w/o a class rank. And an 83 on first glance is not as competative. I hope that the national board people send out a memo to programs explaining the new format.

I think most programs have a good understanding of the scores. Our PASS applications this year had individual entries labeled OLD NBDE FORMAT and NEW FORMAT.

I am interested in seeing what happens with you. Alot of programs need some kind of inclination of academic prowess. If you dont have a class rank and the "new board format" is your only tangible academic item, it might be tough.

I think a lot of the applicant taking the "new format" are going to suffer because of this.

To answer your first question, apply to as many places as you think you can afford. Remember, you also have to travel to these places for interview. It gets costly.

Geez, where have you been wodie?? You didnt know that?? Senioritis already?

When you use PASS, do the programs all see where else you applied? Do they care?