-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How many people work in your pharmacy?
Started by rex_b
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
museabuse said:400-500 scripts/weekday no automation or pill counters 😱
Now that sounds like busy work!!
rex_b said:Now that sounds like busy work!!
Yes but pharmacists are old school. They like to fill. So basically that is all they do, but they are fast and effiecent at it. All the techs are used to the busy pace so it seems to run like a well oiled machine. When I am there as an intern I don't fill ever... Two techs at out window and one files when no customers. Two at in window, and one pulls drugs for pharmacist to fill. Usually in window answers phones. Ocassionally there will be an extra tech to cover breaks and lunches and do non customer related work.
Whenever there is a floater... it goes to sh**. It goes from 20 minute wait time to at least one hour.
When your there you work, work, and work... no time to chat... but the time goes by fast and I do get tons of experience that I definitely wouldn't get working at a store that does 100 scripts a day. 😳
We have 2 or 3 pharmacists during the day with at least 3 techs. I work in an independent community pharmacy.
I
imkim01
rex_b said:I'm talkin specifically about just the pharmacy no where else.
I went to CVS yesterday and there must have been 10 people behind the counter and man it looked a bit over-crowded to me.
I guess you went there when pm shift people start to come. During the overlap hours, my pharmacy also has around 8~10 people but usually, 1 pharmacist, 3~4 techs and 1 cashier.
We have over 50 employees for our hospital inpatient pharmacy. But, about 3 pharmacists and 4-5 techs work in the main basement pharmacy at any given day or evening (not midnights) shift.
At the Rite-Aids I have worked at around here, the allowed hours for techs are low. Seems like we have 1 technician and 1 pharmacist start out the day right now, and then after opening 1 more comes in. During the week we have a designated cashier in the pharmacy so that only 2 techs and 1 pharmacist can usually get the job done uninterupted. Three techs has been about the max. And only two regular pharmacists employed. Sounds low to me.
I
imkim01
Poland said:At the Rite-Aids I have worked at around here, the allowed hours for techs are low. Seems like we have 1 technician and 1 pharmacist start out the day right now, and then after opening 1 more comes in. During the week we have a designated cashier in the pharmacy so that only 2 techs and 1 pharmacist can usually get the job done uninterupted. Three techs has been about the max. And only two regular pharmacists employed. Sounds low to me.
I think the number of techs are dependant on the volume of the store. We are #1 or 2 in the district all the time, so we have a lot of techs. However, low volume stores usually don't have that many techs. We are 24 hours pharmacy, so we have five pharmacists including graveyard.
When I work community pharmacy - 1 pharmacist & 1 tech, 9A-8P M-F; 1 pharmacist only S & S 9A-5:30P. Avg 150 rx/day (70, weekends)
Hospital pharmacy...there are usually 7 pharmacists, 6 technicians scattered throughout the hospital (main, ICU, oncology, OR, IV, etc) from 6A-12MN. One pharmacist on call thru the night - 7 days/wk, 365 days/yr. Avg daily census 200.
Hospital pharmacy...there are usually 7 pharmacists, 6 technicians scattered throughout the hospital (main, ICU, oncology, OR, IV, etc) from 6A-12MN. One pharmacist on call thru the night - 7 days/wk, 365 days/yr. Avg daily census 200.
I work at a closed (not open to public) pharmacy that supplies nursing homes, group homes, and jails.
during the day we have about 4 pharmacists and around 10 techs, then in the evening there is 1 pharmacist and 4 techs. I think by law we need 1 pharmacist for every 4 techs, something like that. I think we fill somewhere from 400-600 RX's a day.
during the day we have about 4 pharmacists and around 10 techs, then in the evening there is 1 pharmacist and 4 techs. I think by law we need 1 pharmacist for every 4 techs, something like that. I think we fill somewhere from 400-600 RX's a day.
I work for a home infusion specialty pharmacy. We have 3 full time techs and 3 full time pharmacists. We also have 2 different pharmacists in other departments within the corporation. One is the General Manager and the other runs our Hemophilia department.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many people work in your pharmacy?
I think something like 10 or so people get paychecks there, but I don't think anyone actually "works" there....
At my store we do 7-800 scripts a day and we have 3 day staff pharmacists, 2 overnight staff pharmacists and then 9 techs. This is all about to change though. I'm a senior tech and I am leaving, my pharmacy manager is leaving to move closer to her new house and to a slower store, one of our overnight pharmacists is moving to days at a slower store, and one of our staff pharmacist's contract will be up in July. Another great tech got into pharmacy school as well, so she will be leaving and the other staff pharmacist is being promoted to pharmacy manager and you can't manage a store that you were staffed in, per Walgreens policy. Yet another senior tech (we had 4, myself included) is going to go to law school. So it's about to get really really really bad. Which is a real shame because we finally have the perfect staff! I also told everyone that they can't leave until after I do. . . hehe
I work at Walgreens and there is only one pharmacist, a tech., and sometimes a cashier. The only time it gets a little crowded is when the shift changes and we get a overlap of two pharmacist and techs, but it does not even come close to what you guys are saying.
ZpackSux said:11 pharmacists and 20+ technicians.
It's a scheduling nightmare for me... everyone is a mom and they all want to work part time.
This has been a theme with you lately...
All4MyDaughter said:This has been a theme with you lately...
Yes it has.
Let me put it bluntly. Yes, your children should be the priority. But I have a job to do and my job involves patient safety.
Majority of moms only want to work when it's convenient. They want to pick and choose the hours they want to work...and more often than not..oh my baby sitter this..my baby sitter that..so I'll be late...I have to leave early...
Why can't I just assign 40 hours per week to an employee and expect to get an honest 40 hours from them.
Pisses me off.
ZpackSux said:Yes it has.
Let me put it bluntly. Yes, your children should be the priority. But I have a job to do and my job involves patient safety.
Majority of moms only want to work when it's convenient. They want to pick and choose the hours they want to work...and more often than not..oh my baby sitter this..my baby sitter that..so I'll be late...I have to leave early...
Why can't I just assign 40 hours per week to an employee and expect to get an honest 40 hours from them.
Pisses me off.
I hope you feel better after that rant!
ZpackSux said:Yes it has.
Let me put it bluntly. Yes, your children should be the priority. But I have a job to do and my job involves patient safety.
Majority of moms only want to work when it's convenient. They want to pick and choose the hours they want to work...and more often than not..oh my baby sitter this..my baby sitter that..so I'll be late...I have to leave early...
Why can't I just assign 40 hours per week to an employee and expect to get an honest 40 hours from them.
Pisses me off.
How about you only hire full-time employees and fire the ones who don't want to work 40 hours?
insipid1979 said:How about you only hire full-time employees and fire the ones who don't want to work 40 hours?
Where am I going to find 4-5 experienced hospital pharmacists wanting to work full time?
ZpackSux said:Where am I going to find 4-5 experienced hospital pharmacists wanting to work full time?
you can hire me... no experience though.

utpharmdude said:you can hire me... no experience though.![]()
As long as you won't wear burnt orange in the pharmacy..
ZpackSux said:Where am I going to find 4-5 experienced hospital pharmacists wanting to work full time?
Pay them a lot more than what their current fulltime job is paying them of course. 😉
at my store, it's typically 2 techs, 2 pharmacist, and 2 clerks. we do about 250 rx/day
museabuse said:4 techs 1 pharmacist with 5 hours pharmacists overlap. 400-500 scripts/weekday no automation or pill counters 😱
Personally I think you should have at least one of the techs be a pill counter. Just eyeballing the pills you pour into a vial is going to lead to one or two mistakes in the long run.
at my hosp there are 110 pharmacist and 110 techs total (that includes inpat and outpat)
crazyrice610 said:at my hosp there are 110 pharmacist and 110 techs total (that includes inpat and outpat)
Let me guess...hmmm LAC/USC?
or is it one of the Kaisers? UCLA?hmmm
If it's LAC/USC... gotta love the 2nd year IV rotation...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K