How many pharmacist working 4th of July

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rattlergirl53

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am and I assume most pharmacist are. I'll be getting time and a half I don't have anything to do nor do I have kids so it's whatever.

But I have worked pretty much every holiday since Thanksgiving except New Years day (I worked New Years Eve) so Xmas, Memorial Day, and now 4th of July. I do plan to hopefully start having a family in the next 4 years so that'll be where stuff gets tricky the good ol war of trying to work full time and still have time for your children.

Any parents that work full time have any tips or stories? I know a lot of moms go part time but honestly money wise I don't think that'll be an option for me.

Members don't see this ad.

During the 3 or 4 years that I worked at walgreens I worked just about every holiday. Even now that I work in a grocery chain I still rarely get the holidays off. It definitely wears down on you after a while. It has come to the point that I hate all holidays. For example... I have a 6 year old kid that I have never seen go trick or treating... Things like that bug me. Most of the time we celebrate holidays early or late just so I can be there. Ie we would celebrate Christmas on the 23rd knowing I would work Christmas eve and day. You can't work retail and be with your family and friends on the holidays. Unless you're the manager and make the schedule like my old walgreens boss.

Reactions: 1 user
We have a holiday rotation where I work so that everyone works 2 holidays per year. I thought it was normal to rotate the holidays, but I guess not?

As for parenting, I have one older son and a baby on the way. Never really thought too much about working full-time and having a kid nor have I ever really felt guilty about it or like I wasn't spending enough time with my son. It's just the way things are. I will say he is very independent and responsible, so maybe there was some benefit to me being at work and/or school while he was growing up.

Members don't see this ad :)
During the 3 or 4 years that I worked at walgreens I worked just about every holiday. Even now that I work in a grocery chain I still rarely get the holidays off. It definitely wears down on you after a while. It has come to the point that I hate all holidays. For example... I have a 6 year old kid that I have never seen go trick or treating... Things like that bug me. Most of the time we celebrate holidays early or late just so I can be there. Ie we would celebrate Christmas on the 23rd knowing I would work Christmas eve and day. You can't work retail and be with your family and friends on the holidays. Unless you're the manager and make the schedule like my old walgreens boss.

Why do you work every Halloween night? Walgreens only has you work Christmas or thanksgiving once every few years. The other four holidays you only work half of them. Its not that bad.

I volunteer to work every Christmas, and prefer to work most holidays for the time and a half (overtime is scarce at my hospital)

The only holidays I care about not working are Labor Day (birthday weekend!) and thanksgiving.

Why do you work every Halloween night? Walgreens only has you work Christmas or thanksgiving once every few years. The other four holidays you only work half of them. Its not that bad.

I also volunteer to work Halloween because I don't have kids.

Every store I ever worked at rotated Holidays. There are six days in question at my store since we are closed Christmas. I work New Years Day, Easter and Thanksgiving. My partner works Memorial Day, July4th and Labor Day. At CVS you get double time for a Holiday. If your base is 40 hours and the Holiday is included in the 40 you get paid 8 additional holiday hours.....

Every store I ever worked at rotated Holidays. There are six days in question at my store since we are closed Christmas. I work New Years Day, Easter and Thanksgiving. My partner works Memorial Day, July4th and Labor Day. At CVS you get double time for a Holiday. If your base is 40 hours and the Holiday is included in the 40 you get paid 8 additional holiday hours.....

Worked all 6 this past year. With double time it is a tidy sum

How does this work? So if you make $50 an hour and you worked on July 4th then you would earn $100 an hours plus 8 hours of holiday pay ($50 an hour)?

$50 x 2 x 8 + $50 x 8 = $1200 ?

I grew up in a health care household so holidays and weekends were always rotated and that was the baseline expectation.

I'm only a student intern, but I'm not working on the 4th. My current job doesn't allow students to earn holiday pay or overtime. My previous intern position allowed me to work on holidays, which was nice. I'd get time and a half for working Christmas, and being Jewish, I was happy to do so.

I'm only a student intern, but I'm not working on the 4th. My current job doesn't allow students to earn holiday pay or overtime. My previous intern position allowed me to work on holidays, which was nice. I'd get time and a half for working Christmas, and being Jewish, I was happy to do so.

That's dumb. I would think loading up cheap interns and student technicians on the holidays is a great way to a) save money and b) make the regulars happy (unless they want to work holidays, which is common).

Members don't see this ad :)
at cvs u get what u normally get, plus 8 hours for holidays. this is ridiculous when you're at work, and the person at home enjoying the holiday is getting the same pay! essentially working on holidays or off that day get u the same greens. this is a holi **** moment on july 4th and xmas.

at cvs u get what u normally get, plus 8 hours for holidays. this is ridiculous when you're at work, and the person at home enjoying the holiday is getting the same pay! essentially working on holidays or off that day get u the same greens. this is a holi **** moment on july 4th and xmas.

Um, your post doesn't make any sense.

Um, your post doesn't make any sense.
It does to me. What she is saying, just like oldtimer saying. You get paid 8h whether you work or not (holiday pay), and if you are scheduled that day, you only get paid 1X rate (normal rate). People think it's double pay, but it's really not... you just get paid 8h holiday pay + 8h standard rate, thus leading to an assumption that you get double pay (16h pay at 1X rate when you only work 8h). I think that's pretty sh1tty.

It does to me. What she is saying, just like oldtimer saying. You get paid 8h whether you work or not (holiday pay), and if you are scheduled that day, you only get paid 1X rate (normal rate). People think it's double pay, but it's really not... you just get paid 8h holiday pay + 8h standard rate, thus leading to an assumption that you get double pay (16h pay at 1X rate when you only work 8h). I think that's pretty sh1tty.

How is that not double pay ?

At wags if I work the holiday I get paid 16h .. if I don't, I get paid 8h. .. so for working instead of staying home, I get paid double.

At wags if I work the holiday I get paid 16h .. if I don't, I get paid 8h. .. so for working instead of staying home, I get paid double.
Does that apply to the salaried exempt pharmacists though? :(

The illusion that you are getting double pay... you get 8h holiday pay no matter what (working or not), and if you work the holiday day you get 8h pay because you ARE working. Sure, it's "double" pay. You are actually not compensated EXTRA when you work holiday, you just get 1x rate every hour you work (just the same like any normal day) during the holiday while your friends/family boozing it up enjoying the holiday.

Or to put in another context, you are actually getting an extra 8h at 1X rate because you are working an extra 8h DURING the holiday. Is that good or bad? Only you can decide... If you value the holiday, it's bad to be working during the holiday and only get 1X rate (A lot of people will think "WTF, I am working the holiday and getting paid only 1X rate"). To each, his own.

I'm an intern and I get to work July 4th, love that extra pay.

Or to put in another context, you are actually getting an extra 8h at 1X rate because you are working an extra 8h DURING the holiday. Is that good or bad? Only you can decide... If you value the holiday, it's bad to be working during the holiday and only get 1X rate (A lot of people will think "WTF, I am working the holiday and getting paid only 1X rate"). To each, his own.

I get what you are saying, but I think it is one of those things where we should be happy with any holiday pay, maybe that's just me.

It can't be double pay if you get holiday pay no matter what. Double pay would be like overtime pay, pay + some amount. Sadly wag overtime pay is only pay+ $10 which isn't worth it.

In California, you get to cash out your unused vacation days so there is no point on working on holiday if it is 1x pay and not 1.5x pay. Instead just don't use one vacation day.

I think at kaiser you actually get 2x if you worked on holidays plus 1x holiday so you get a total of 3x.

Ahh I understand after you've put it this way . Since a (wags) employee would get 8h pay normally for the holiday, if they *work* , they are working for the standard rate .. but.. in the end you still get double the money...

However since you'd be paid holiday no matter what and the rate for your actual labor is the same , there is no real incentive to work holiday beyond just one extra regular shifts pay.

In corporate world , you get 'paid holidays'. .. as salaried you really just get a guaranteed day off .. no point to work more.. if you're in hourly paid position, working the holiday gives you an extra days worth of pay ..

Kind of confusing whichever way you look at it , just like the various salary/hourly hybrid models at the chains

The illusion that you are getting double pay... you get 8h holiday pay no matter what (working or not), and if you work the holiday day you get 8h pay because you ARE working. Sure, it's "double" pay. You are actually not compensated EXTRA when you work holiday, you just get 1x rate every hour you work (just the same like any normal day) during the holiday while your friends/family boozing it up enjoying the holiday.

But you also likely had an extra day off during the week if the holiday falls on your scheduled day...

Yup. That BS with the holiday pay is my biggest complaint and such a scummy move. What's worse is if you're scheduled to work a holiday with truncated hours (say 9-5 instead of 8-8) you actually get paid 5 hours less for the privilege of working a holiday. When I see that in my paycheck I'm ready to lose it

I think it would be better if they did away with holiday pay, those corporate jerks. You should get time and a half for the holiday you work, and your store should get cut hours since there will be less scripts filled that day.

Then you guys will get to fight over who gets to work the holiday and everyone is happy!

Oh wait, this is pharmacy, no one is ever happy enough.

I think it would be better if they did away with holiday pay, those corporate jerks. You should get time and a half for the holiday you work, and your store should get cut hours since there will be less scripts filled that day.

Then you guys will get to fight over who gets to work the holiday and everyone is happy!

Still not really making sense .. we all fight over the holidays here because it is 2x pay

I have never worked any of the 10 state holidays since being licensed as a pharmacist 4 years ago. ;) inpatient clinical pharmacist and now amb care clinical pharmacist. I enjoy the time with family, friends and hopefully one day my children... :)

It is not that they mind working on a holiday. But working in retail is usually a drag so having an extra day to spend with their friends and family is special.

Still not really making sense .. we all fight over the holidays here because it is 2x pay

Because if you work you get 1x pay. Holiday pay you get no matter what. Why don't you just pick up a shift on some other day and enjoy your holiday with your family.

Because if you work you get 1x pay. Holiday pay you get no matter what. Why don't you just pick up a shift on some other day and enjoy your holiday with your family.

Because we celebrate on off days , and picking up a shift actually requires more WORK

We are closed the 4th, so I don't have to work. However I do not get holiday pay and never have, so those who are whining about 8hrs of pay - just know you could be getting nothing at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I work the 4th and if I didn't I'd still get 8hr of holiday pay so working the fourth I'm really only getting my regular pay which blows. I want 8hrs of holiday pay like everyone else, but should also get 1.5 pay for actually working that day.

Because we celebrate on off days , and picking up a shift actually requires more WORK
Holidays are so slow, the day takes forever. You would rather do that then have a quick regular day?

if u work 8-3pm on holiday, u get paid regular + 7 hrs holiday..... if u were schedule to be off that day, making love somewhere, u still get your regular pay + 8 hrs holiday.... so basically if you're working 8-3pm that day, you're actually making less than the person that's off!

I'm working July 4th (after being told I wouldn't have to because we were actually going to divide up the holidays fairly this year :mad:). I don't really mind working on holidays, but I'm mightily pissed that I made plans for the holiday and had to cancel them at the last minute because the person who does our schedule is an idiot. And no, I don't get holiday pay or a bonus, unless being allowed to keep my job counts as a bonus.

CVS has not given anyone double-time except for Christmas, at least in our area, since I started 2 years ago. They give everyone 8 hours holiday pay whether they worked the holiday or not, and nothing extra if you do work it. This only applies to the pharmacists, techs and such are dolled out holiday pay differently.

I'm working tomorrow just because it's my weekend to work. I never volunteer to work holidays. My first year with Walgreens, I worked on Christmas day ,my husband and kids didn't find it funny at all. No one did anything at home until I got back from work. It was the saddest Christmas for them because they weren't used to it. I haven't worked Christmas again since then but have worked Thanksgiving day and they handled it better

So what's the point of volunteering to work any holiday?

So what's the point of volunteering to work any holiday?

Making time and a half.

Getting the holidays you really want off.

I work Christmas every year so I can get thanksgiving and/or New Years off.