How many plan on working only part-time?

Started by ap97531
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ap97531

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was thinking to work full time and even overtime the first few years i get out to pay back for all my loans and buy a house and such....but after that I only plan on working a 20-30hr work week. who plans on doing this too? what are your thoughts?
 
I can't say that I've thought about it before, but I like your idea. I think I'll do the same thing. I'll work for a few years to build a little nest egg and buy a small house. Then I'll treat my job as a "hobby" and work as little as possible to pay the bills and have some spending money. Of course, if I meet someone special and "start acting like an adult" then this great plan is out of the window. Till then, sounds like paradise! 🙂
 
Finally someone that understands me! 😀 i can't believe more people can't relate to this idea??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I plan on working full time to pay off most of my loans too, then I'll work part time so I can spend more time with my kids. Then I'll have to work full time again when they go to college (that's a loooooooooong way off, though) so I can help them pay for it. I don't know if that will really happen though. I'm going to have a huge amount of debt when I graduate, so I'll probably have to work full time forever. 😛
 
ap97531 said:
I was thinking to work full time and even overtime the first few years i get out to pay back for all my loans and buy a house and such....but after that I only plan on working a 20-30hr work week. who plans on doing this too? what are your thoughts?


Sounds like my plan 😀 . Once I'm done #1) I'm moving to the location of my choice (either San Diego, Phoenix or the Virgin Islands...I can dream can't I? 😛 ) #2) Working full time as well as overtime to pay off all my loans and I will be living well below my means to get it done that much faster and finally #3) I'm going to save up and buy myself my own place. Part time sounds like a good idea after all of that...depends on what's going on. Almost forgot..I'm going to do a ton of travelling whenever I can.
 
I had a slightly different slant on the idea.

Become an expatriot in a country with a favorable exchange rate for an American with money in the bank. Dominican Republic, Brazil, or even New Zealand/ Australia were candidates. The exchange rate must be favorable enough to support flying home three months out of the year for work-a-thons
with an agency like Cameron.

The rest of the year just chill.