How many prelim/transitional programs to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermie1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm MS4 applying in derm but also prelim/transitional obviously. Top 10 Medical School. Step 1 240s. Step 2 240s. Honors on Medicine/Pediatrics/Outpatient Medicine/Medicine Sub-I (relevant to my prelim year).

How many programs do you need to apply to (I've these have been getting tougher in recent years). My plan was going to be apply to all the ones in my home city (transitional + preliminary) + 1-3 programs in each of the other major cities across the country.

Trying to make a list. So far I'm at 14 preliminary programs and 5 transitional. Is this enough? Or should I apply to more?

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on how competitive the prelim spots you are applying to are I would think the 19 programs would be enough with your stats and school. My thoughts are you might as well apply to 5 more transitional spots (same cost) which could possibly give you a few more options. I haven't heard of most prelim spots being terribly competitive but I imagine it really just varies on location/electives/etc.

Then again, I'm only a 4th year who had a similar question but only in regards to transitional programs (vs prelims too) so it would probably be wise to get a 2nd opinion as my answer above is just in regards to what I've sifted through on SDN mostly.

I'm MS4 applying in derm but also prelim/transitional obviously. Top 10 Medical School. Step 1 240s. Step 2 240s. Honors on Medicine/Pediatrics/Outpatient Medicine/Medicine Sub-I (relevant to my prelim year).

How many programs do you need to apply to (I've these have been getting tougher in recent years). My plan was going to be apply to all the ones in my home city (transitional + preliminary) + 1-3 programs in each of the other major cities across the country.

Trying to make a list. So far I'm at 14 preliminary programs and 5 transitional. Is this enough? Or should I apply to more?
I applied to 15 prelims and I, too, was applying to derm. You should be fine ;)

I'm applying to ophtho and I applied to 1 prelim and 13 TYs. I'm pretty comfortable with this number.