how many programs are on your rank list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalalai

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
nrmp says the more, the better... but what if you only have 4 that you really want to go to? what's the average number of places that people rank? i hear that people applying for FM get one of their top 3 choices usually, but that isn't stopping me from freaking out. the program directors and residents at the programs i interview at seem to like me, i get the obligatory note cards, emails, and phone calls... but don't they schmooze everyone?

i'll be ranking 4, 5 if i have a nervous breakdown between now and feb 21.

how many will you rank?

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm ranking all the programs I interviewed at = 6

VuDOo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at 6 and ranked 3.

MDWoochie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at 16 but because of couple's match I plan to rank 6 programs.

lowbudget

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wow, good luck y'all.

justwondering

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

im ranking all of the programs i interviewed at minus two that i dont think i could stand being at.

chibihamsta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i applied to 12, only decided to interview at 7, ranking 7. :luck:

heathers40

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After cancelling a few interviews, I ended up interviewing at 10 and will rank all of them. I am going through couple's match with my husband who is applying in general surgery.

Doc Oc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviews: 6

AOA Match: Ranking 1

NRMP Match: Ranking 4

This was a rough call, because my #2 and #3 can only be reached through the NRMP match, but my #4 is perfectly acceptable and I will be happy there. So if I don't get my #1, it will be weird with my #4 because they will know I didn't rank them, so someone in the NRMP match must be higher - and that I'd rather take my chances with that place than just match with them. I decided I only have one chance at this, so I'll just go for the gold. I ranked my #1 as such in both matches.

Hopefully, it all works out on Feb 12th and it doesn't get weird.

not4rural

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm ranking only 4. I interviewed at like 7-8 but I cry everytime I think that I may have to go there. It may be dumb to only rank 4, but at least I can say I would be happy at all 4!

marshmallows

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
nrmp says the more, the better... but what if you only have 4 that you really want to go to? what's the average number of places that people rank? i hear that people applying for FM get one of their top 3 choices usually, but that isn't stopping me from freaking out. the program directors and residents at the programs i interview at seem to like me, i get the obligatory note cards, emails, and phone calls... but don't they schmooze everyone?

i'll be ranking 4, 5 if i have a nervous breakdown between now and feb 21.

how many will you rank?

ranking 4 maybe 5?,, frustrated and stress..:idea: