How many programs do psych applicants typically rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iceman43

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this varies depending on your situation and what kind of programs you are applying to but what is the general ballpark number of how many programs to rank for a successful match in psychiatry? Just wondering how many interviews to schedule in order to come up with a good rank list. I am an osteopathic student trying to match to ACGME programs (if that helps inform your advice).

Members don't see this ad.

For allopaths, the year I applied, everyone who ranked 10 programs matched with the exception of two individuals. Not sure how that magic number works out for osteopaths.

For allopaths, the year I applied, everyone who ranked 10 programs matched with the exception of two individuals. Not sure how that magic number works out for osteopaths.

Does 'allopaths' include IMGs, or only AMGs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does 'allopaths' include IMGs, or only AMGs?
Sorry, I meant U.S. allopaths.

The best source of info I was able to find on this kind of thing when I nervously wanted to know how many programs was "enough," was Charting Outcomes for the Match. But they break the data down for each specialty into two categories: US Allopaths and "Independents" which include foreign medical schools and U.S. osteopathic programs. It's less useful for non-U.S. allopaths, because what's true for a Ross American grad isn't the same as for a Pikeville grad isn't the same for a Parisian Medical school grad.

I was originally thinking that if I could get at least 10-12 interviews that I'd be nearly certain of landing a residency spot. However, I came across another person on this forum who is re-applying to IM after having 12 interviews last year and still not matching (he was an AMG, though had one failed step 1 that he had to repeat). Knowing that people could go on so many interviews and still not match.... well that freaks me out a bit.

I got my 6th interview today which I am VERY happy about. Originally I was planning on going with my family for 2 weeks to Asia (for a relative's wedding) in November. It would be an awesome trip and I have been really excited about it. Even though it is peak of interview season, I could still fit it around 11-12 interviews and thus get to do both (interview as well as go on the family trip). However, after hearing about people getting 12 interviews and still not matching, now I'm wondering if I should just back out of the trip and use that extra time to interview to another 5-6 places.

If an AMG went to 12 interviews and didn't match, that's probably a problem with the applicant. I'd imagine that they probably still wouldn't have matched if they'd gone to more interviews. 90% of people match at one of their top 3 choices, and that's not even in psych.

Last edited:
I was originally thinking that if I could get at least 10-12 interviews that I'd be nearly certain of landing a residency spot. However, I came across another person on this forum who is re-applying to IM after having 12 interviews last year and still not matching (he was an AMG, though had one failed step 1 that he had to repeat).
Two points: failed step I and (more importantly) IM.

So much depends on the specifics that it's silly to speculate. You can feel confident with 6 rankings or nervous with 10 rankings. It depends on what you look like and what you rank.

I don't think I've ever heard of somebody matching at their #13 choice, including IMGs and people with red flags (for instance, multiple Step failures). If you don't match at your top 12, you probably won't match at 13-15 either.

I don't think I've ever heard of somebody matching at their #13 choice, including IMGs and people with red flags (for instance, multiple Step failures). If you don't match at your top 12, you probably won't match at 13-15 either.

I understand... if someone isn't matching despite interviewing at so many places, you'd think something was wrong with the person (i.e. poor interviewing skills).

But on the other hand, I'd think the fact that a person could even get 13-15 interviews (even if the person applied to all of the psych programs) would mean that the person couldn't be all THAT bad. The person had to at least some positive qualities to have garnered so many interviews in the first place.

If the issue was poor scores, then my counter-response would be that so many places shouldn't have been willing to interview him if they couldn't accept his scores.

Conversely, if the issue was a lack of interpersonal skills, I'd think that the person may still have something to gain by interviews 13-15, as he may not show the same level of poor skills at all places, as he may get better at interviewing the more times he goes to interviews.

I'm just speculating here...

Two points: failed step I and (more importantly) IM.

So much depends on the specifics that it's silly to speculate. You can feel confident with 6 rankings or nervous with 10 rankings. It depends on what you look like and what you rank.

Is psych really that much less competitive to match into than IM? I always thought that psych, IM, and FM were the easiest to match into.

I was originally thinking that if I could get at least 10-12 interviews that I'd be nearly certain of landing a residency spot. However, I came across another person on this forum who is re-applying to IM after having 12 interviews last year and still not matching (he was an AMG, though had one failed step 1 that he had to repeat). Knowing that people could go on so many interviews and still not match.... well that freaks me out a bit.

I got my 6th interview today which I am VERY happy about. Originally I was planning on going with my family for 2 weeks to Asia (for a relative's wedding) in November. It would be an awesome trip and I have been really excited about it. Even though it is peak of interview season, I could still fit it around 11-12 interviews and thus get to do both (interview as well as go on the family trip). However, after hearing about people getting 12 interviews and still not matching, now I'm wondering if I should just back out of the trip and use that extra time to interview to another 5-6 places.

There's always going to be anomalies even though 10 is probably more than enough for most applicants. There's a regular poster here who failed to match without any red flags and then matched the next year. There have been other posters here who wound up going pretty low on their list (their eighth spot or so), and I had a friend in my class who applied in psych and didn't match although she had repeated her first year, which honestly usually didn't prohibit people at my school from matching in the less competitive stuff (meaning it was still a surprise).

But, really, almost all US grads match, and 10 is a good number for probably everyone.

Is psych really that much less competitive to match into than IM? I always thought that psych, IM, and FM were the easiest to match into.
I think both have their top programs and both have plenty of exploitive malignant programs. But if you're applying to decent academic programs, medicine tends to be a tougher match.