PhD/PsyD How Many Programs to Apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My friend (who is a psych and bio double major) was talking to me about applications for grad school and he was having trouble with how many programs should he apply to. Do anyone know what the average is that he should aim to?

PsychMajorUndegrad18

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

My friend (who is a psych and bio double major) was talking to me about applications for grad school and he was having trouble with how many programs should he apply to. Do anyone know what the average is that he should aim to?

PsychMajorUndegrad18
It depends how much money you have. lol But I think 12 to 15 is a good number. (and he should hit a few top programs, more mid level, and then some lower ones that are still good programs)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also if this is your friends first year applying to graduate school it would be smart to consider applying to a few Master's programs as well. You don't say what area of psychology he's interested in, but there's a lot of competition and a Master's degree is a good plan b that will allow him to gain more research experience.

Hello Everyone,

PsychMajorUndegrad18
Minimum 12.
Start sorting programs based on their average GRE scores, then sort by interest of research/theoretical oreintations, then skim the CV's of profs on that school and see their research interest, then if you find a few you are interested in, read some of their publications, then when you finally find someone you are interested in their stuff, email them with a very professional email, giving them a "all hail" glowing "i love your work" email petting their ego, and then let them know how your interests are similar, and finally ask if they are looking for a lab rat (grad student) for the next year (or the year you are planning on entering) and see if they will show interest in you. The funded programs/research look for their lab rats, but not every prof takes a grad student every year. So you need to do your leg work long time ahead before applying by the Dec 1 or Jan 1 deadlines most schools have for their phd/psyd fall entry.

Reactions: 1 user
A great book that I found super helpful: Insiders guide to cousneling and clinical psychology book. Any Barnes N Noble should have it, or have your local library purchase it or do an inter library loan. It has all the APA accredited programs listed based on location and gives good stats like GRE, level of research vs. clinical training, etc.. Its a great tool.