How many programs to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc1317

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a current 4th year DO student. Just got Step 2 CK back and it was 234. Still waiting on level 2 results. Step 1/level 1 was pass/fail for me and I passed both on the first attempt.

I am planning on applying to internal medicine, and was wondering how many programs I should be applying to to get my best chance at matching.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Charting outcomes is your friend. It will depend largely on the rest of your application, your desire for academics vs community, where you list as home town on eras, and where you want to be in the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Charting outcomes is your friend. It will depend largely on the rest of your application, your desire for academics vs community, where you list as home town on eras, and where you want to be in the country.
No red flags on application, overall average everything else (research, LORs, etc).

There simply are too many variables to answer your question. Depends on the quality / reputation of your school, away rotations (if you do any), whether you want community / academic, whether you want one of the more competitive fellowships (as programs that do well placing in those fields tend to be more competitive), geographic flexibility, the competitiveness of the spread of your applications (i.e. more apps if applying to more competitive programs), etc.

Your best metric is last year's class. if your school collects data on this, you want to know what happened to thosw whom applied IM last year.