How many programs to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUVGAS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Anyone have any idea how many programs I should apply to with a step1 of 204. Im an allopathic student with average grades and some clinical research from 1st yr of medical school. Also which programs would I have better luck with.

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's been asked/answered.

My advice is to apply to any program that is in a city that you'd be willing to live for the next three-four years. After that, then you can learn more about the programs as interviews role around.

When you decide which interviews to take, keep in mind geography, the size of the city, cost of the city, quality of the program,and if there is anything that you're looking for in a program specifically (strong ICU, weekends off, etc.) I stress that you must be in a place that you can be happy outside of the hospital and not just in it. I think in general you can get good training anywhere; whether it's UCSF, Mass General, Kansas, Wisconsin.

When you take the interview, look around. Ask yourself, do I like the people I interviewed with? Do I look like the kind of person that would fit in with the residents here(even though only he CA-1's will be there when you're there). Also do not be afraid to ask questions during interviews as they are not only interviewing you, but you should be interviewing them.. it's a match.

Above all, as one program director said in his spiel last year, go with your gut. You're going to get a lot of facts/figures thrown out at you by these institutions (salary, Board Scores, book allowances, geographic placements), but he hasn't ever met a colleague that when talking about where they did their residency, the mentioned the perks or board scores, but the experience.

LUVGAS said:
Hi Folks

Anyone have any idea how many programs I should apply to with a step1 of 204. Im an allopathic student with average grades and some clinical research from 1st yr of medical school. Also which programs would I have better luck with.

thanx

Enough to get 10 interviews that you want to go on. That means you can pick and choose. So start off with at a min of 30 or so and see how it goes. Just my take on it.

Thanx guys
SO far based on my location I have applied to 28, I skipped out on 4 community programs that I have heard bad things about. Other than that I was wondering what were the disadvantages far as going to a community program

thanx