How many programs to apply to?

Started by hereIcome
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hereIcome

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that the standard advice in this forum is to apply broadly when you have low(ish) scores. I am a US allo student from a top 30 school with a 210 on my Step 1 but Honors in all of my third year rotations (with like 97-99 on my shelf tests). I am not published but am getting some research experience this year.

How many places should I aim to apply to? I have a list of about 45 right now...
 
You seem perfectly competitive for the average programs, and honestly, I think you'd get plenty of interviews at even the very competitive places.

In the end, you should match with no problems.

I echo the above regarding the number you're applying to. It's way too many and you won't be able to pull it off time-wise or financially. My advice would also be to narrow the scope of your search to a *maximum* of 15 places (maybe 20 if you're feeling really strong).

Good luck.
 
20-30 programs should be PLENTY for you. You will definitely get plenty of interviews with that. Like the above poster mentioned, at least 50% will respond to you.