How many programs will you rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many Ophtho programs will you rank?

• Total voters

NSAspy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the interview season comes to a close, I'm curious to know how many Ophtho programs you guys/gals plan to rank?

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on ranking all of the ones I interviewed with, including one that gave me a bad vibe. I don't feel like it's much of a choice to do so if I expect to match :/

An article published in 2012 suggested that ranking between 10-11 programs would yield a >95% chance of matching.

I was advised when ranking programs that I didn't love as much, to ask myself if I would rather not match vs be an ophthalmologist at all. Reapplying to the match is tough and requires hard work in the time between applications. I would be inclined to rank every place I interviewed at unless it's not in good standing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like people are more realistic with their rank numbers than their interviews they were attending/invited to.

I plan on ranking all of the ones I interviewed with, including one that gave me a bad vibe. I don't feel like it's much of a choice to do so if I expect to match :/

I'm also ranking all the programs I interviewed at!! I'm not one of the superstar applicants with 19 interviews, so my #1 priority is matching.. where I match is a secondary consideration..

For those with "less than ideal" number of interviews do you have contingency plans for ... god forbid.. the worst case scenario, i.e. not matching (i.e.. dual residency applications, research year, etc)?