How many publications do YOU have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PublicHealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
1, J Neurosci... I got extremely lucky.

3, all Gen. Journal of Virology. 3rd author on 2, 4th author on the last one. I will be submitting my own work for peer-review (as primary author) soon!!!!! :clap:

Zero for me as well. Maybe by the end of the summer I will be ready to submit for a 1st author pub after 2 1/2 years on my project...

Zero! (and I still got an MSTP acceptance, so there is hope for all of you out there w/o publications)

I now have two (one shared first author in J. Neurosc. and one second author for a review in Current Opinion in Neurol.). However, for those who are still applying, these weren't published until after my admissions cycle was pretty much complete.

When I applied to the MSTP. I had one first authored paper and two second authored papers. I also had four abstracts and presentations at major meetings. While publications are not necessary for admission, they definitely help in the admissions process. Good luck all.

Don't worry guys. I had zero (and still do - although at least one is coming in the next few months) when I applied for MSTP but did real well in the MSTP admissions process (which just ended for me) anyway. :)

Do papers published in conferences and meetings count? In particular, Northeast Bioengineering Conference.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Flack Pinku
Do papers published in conferences and meetings count? In particular, Northeast Bioengineering Conference.

Thanks.

My impression is that this would be a published abstract.

I would only consider artlicles that appear in a Pubmed search as "published articles".

Abstracts are generally indicated as a separate entity.

Airborne

I've got 2 and a couple more in the works, and one in peer review at Nature.

Being able to discuss your research with anyone is key, whether they be a 15 year old kid or a Harvard professor.

Two very shortly :D and hopefully more to come.

I had one sandwhich in an OK journal and one just on the way to J. Neuroscience (which didn't come out for another two years!) when I interviewed, plus two abstracts at national meetings.

Most important: be facile with the WHY of your research (no one cares to hear about the PCR you did - just WHY you did it). For this, of course, it helps to have done research (you need something to talk about). Publishing is a bonus, but isn't really required.

Oh, and try to convey some excitement about your research (even if you're not going into that area).

Best of luck - this is a GREAT career.

Primate

2 in Biological Psychiatry
1 in American Journal of Psychiatry

so far in circulation...

i have no interest in pursuing psychiatry! :laugh:

A lot.
But none in the sciences.

for those of you applying: when your PI promises you authorship, make sure that the paper is WRITTEN before you leave for med school. I got cheated out of a Science paper because I fell into the why-don't-you-finish-the-experiments-and-I'll-write-the-paper-later trap...