Quantcast

How many publications do YOU have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samus Aran

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Neuronix
None, my current lab is working on one and my first lab had a publishing spurt before I joiend and hasn't published since.

Ditto...:(

Sonya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1, J Neurosci... I got extremely lucky.

Ryan

Pretend This Is Witty
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
3, all Gen. Journal of Virology. 3rd author on 2, 4th author on the last one. I will be submitting my own work for peer-review (as primary author) soon!!!!! :clap:

jmed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Zero for me as well. Maybe by the end of the summer I will be ready to submit for a 1st author pub after 2 1/2 years on my project...

STi555

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Zero! (and I still got an MSTP acceptance, so there is hope for all of you out there w/o publications)

badger03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I now have two (one shared first author in J. Neurosc. and one second author for a review in Current Opinion in Neurol.). However, for those who are still applying, these weren't published until after my admissions cycle was pretty much complete.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I applied to the MSTP. I had one first authored paper and two second authored papers. I also had four abstracts and presentations at major meetings. While publications are not necessary for admission, they definitely help in the admissions process. Good luck all.

bex

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't worry guys. I had zero (and still do - although at least one is coming in the next few months) when I applied for MSTP but did real well in the MSTP admissions process (which just ended for me) anyway. :)

Flack Pinku

U lookin at my glasses??
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do papers published in conferences and meetings count? In particular, Northeast Bioengineering Conference.

Thanks.

surge

Medicinski Znanstvenik
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Flack Pinku
Do papers published in conferences and meetings count? In particular, Northeast Bioengineering Conference.

Thanks.

My impression is that this would be a published abstract.

Airborne

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would only consider artlicles that appear in a Pubmed search as "published articles".

Abstracts are generally indicated as a separate entity.

Airborne

Pythagoras

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got 2 and a couple more in the works, and one in peer review at Nature.

Being able to discuss your research with anyone is key, whether they be a 15 year old kid or a Harvard professor.

Sophie

Lead Foot
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two very shortly :D and hopefully more to come.

Primate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had one sandwhich in an OK journal and one just on the way to J. Neuroscience (which didn't come out for another two years!) when I interviewed, plus two abstracts at national meetings.

Most important: be facile with the WHY of your research (no one cares to hear about the PCR you did - just WHY you did it). For this, of course, it helps to have done research (you need something to talk about). Publishing is a bonus, but isn't really required.

Oh, and try to convey some excitement about your research (even if you're not going into that area).

Best of luck - this is a GREAT career.

Primate

Joe Joe on da Radio

Gissepi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 in Biological Psychiatry
1 in American Journal of Psychiatry

so far in circulation...

i have no interest in pursuing psychiatry! :laugh:

tofurious

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those of you applying: when your PI promises you authorship, make sure that the paper is WRITTEN before you leave for med school. I got cheated out of a Science paper because I fell into the why-don't-you-finish-the-experiments-and-I'll-write-the-paper-later trap...