How many questions are going to be on the test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lukkie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never figured out why people ask this question at a review session or the last lecture before the final, etc. What does it matter if there is going to be 2 questions or 30 questions or 5000? Do you change your studying strategy to accommodate this? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. It's very annoying when people ask. What does it matter? Either way you still have to study.

I think you'll survive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because students are pretty clever. The fewer questions on the exam generally means that there will be more emphasis on the major concepts. Why study hard? Study smart!

It would be fun to be a professor entertaining some review day questions. In my Ani Bio class people always ask the "Do we need to know this?" question about pretty much everything that has been taught and the answer is always the same... "You need to know everything - this is your major".

It would be fun to be a professor entertaining some review day questions. In my Ani Bio class people always ask the "Do we need to know this?" question about pretty much everything that has been taught and the answer is always the same... "You need to know everything - this is your major".

Trust me, this doesn't end once you get to medical school.

I disagree. If it's an all multiple choice test, then generally I would feel more comfortable if there were 50 questions instead of like 30. Since each question is worth less, you would lose less points on questions that you did not know the answer to.

I disagree. If it's an all multiple choice test, then generally I would feel more comfortable if there were 50 questions instead of like 30. Since each question is worth less, you would lose less points on questions that you did not know the answer to.

But would knowing this change the way you study at all?

I have to say though, of all the ridiculous questions people ask, I think that this one isn't as bad...

Members don't see this ad :)
But would knowing this change the way you study at all?

But I have to say, of all the ridiculous questions people ask, this question isn't as bad...

It probably wouldn't change my study style, but I think your confidence level going into a test or before any difficult undertaking impacts your performance.

I'm currently in a Sociology class where people always ask which readings will be on the test. I feel bad for the professor because all of the readings are on the syllabus, but nobody reads any of them because they can just ask which readings are most pertinent for the exam.

Trust me, this doesn't end once you get to medical school.

I sure hope not. I'd be afraid if all the doctors out there just knew the bare minimum for a test and then forgot everything.

In my Ani Bio class people always ask the "Do we need to know this?" question about pretty much everything that has been taught and the answer is always the same... "You need to know everything - this is your major".

"Do we need to know this" questions are the most annoying. :rolleyes: I once had someone ask me if they needed to know anything about the lecture topic the professor talked about for that day. It's like, uh, he didn't lecture on it for the hell of it.

Because students are pretty clever. The fewer questions on the exam generally means that there will be more emphasis on the major concepts. Why study hard? Study smart!
My Microbiology final consisted of 30 questions, 5 of which were worth 90% of the test. Want to know why? Because people assumed that since there were X amount of questions, the value was going to be 100/X. It doesn't matter how many questions there are, just fkn study.

I agree, though, that it's annoying and why I never bothered to come to review lectures. I've been right so far.

"Do we need to know this" questions are the most annoying. :rolleyes: I once had someone ask me if they needed to know anything about the lecture topic the professor talked about for that day. It's like, uh, he didn't lecture on it for the hell of it.
That is also another fundamental flaw, depending upon what course you take. My Intro to Mental ******ation course had a weeks worth of "lecture" that was a required attendance that wasn't even on the test.*

*Incidentally, the course was so flawed that the Professor didn't remember that that week was new material not on last years exam and hence "not on the test" and instead consisted of material not talked about this year in its place:laugh: He had lazily put up last years test as this year and didn't make the revision

The professor had the nerve to call everyone (approx 500 people) idiots because the average of the test was 15% lower than the average from last year - and THAT's why I got a B in that course:smuggrin:

If there are only 5 questions on the exam, students will assume they're long essay based questions and will focus on long concepts/pathways. If there are 100 questions, students will assume they are little detailed questions and will try to focus on the details. Plus knowing what to expect helps you so you're not caught off guard when you enter the exam.

That is also another fundamental flaw, depending upon what course you take. My Intro to Mental ******ation course had a weeks worth of "lecture" that was a required attendance that wasn't even on the test.*

*Incidentally, the course was so flawed that the Professor didn't remember that that week was new material not on last years exam and hence "not on the test" and instead consisted of material not talked about this year in its place:laugh: He had lazily put up last years test as this year and didn't make the revision

The professor had the nerve to call everyone (approx 500 people) idiots because the average of the test was 15% lower than the average from last year - and THAT's why I got a B in that course:smuggrin:

:laugh: Wow, luckily, I've never had a situation like that. :eek:

If there are only 5 questions on the exam, students will assume they're long essay based questions and will focus on long concepts/pathways. If there are 100 questions, students will assume they are little detailed questions and will try to focus on the details. Plus knowing what to expect helps you so you're not caught off guard when you enter the exam.

Generally, you can ask for the format and figure that out. Number of questions is a useless question that you should reserve until you are absolutely sure it makes sense that # of questions = anything worthwhile to your studying

Also if you know the number of questions you know what to expect in terms of pressure and time constraints. If there are a lot of questions then you make sure you show up focused and on time. If there are a few questions then there is less pressure. My friend showed up an hour late to a final that he knew was going to be short and easy and aced it. He probably spent the extra hour studying.

Also if you know the number of questions you know what to expect in terms of pressure and time constraints. If there are a lot of questions then you make sure you show up focused and on time. If there are a few questions then there is less pressure. My friend showed up an hour late to a final that he knew was going to be short and easy and aced it. He probably spent the extra hour studying.

It could also have the reverse effect.....if you know your final is worth 200 points and your prof tells you there are only 5questions.... :eek: You better have a pretty good idea about every single one or you are kinda screwed.

Altho it worked out for your friend, i think what he did was pretty stupid. Just b/c a test has few questions doesnt mean its going to be short and easy. Altho i guess this is all in the context of the class and having had the teacher for an entire semester/quarter. By that time you have probably figured out the profs testing patterns and can have a pretty good idea of what the tests will be like. Still kinda risky tho. You never konw what profs will do with a final.

Also sometimes professors tend to leave once everyone's finished the exam. If it's short and easy there might not be anyone there when you arrive. :eek:

Also sometimes professors tend to leave once everyone's finished the exam. If it's short and easy there might not be anyone there when you arrive. :eek:

True, but there will always be that ONE person who stays until the VERY end no matter how short and easy an exam is.

My favorite review session story, from Intro Bio I, with the review actually being held during the class period 2 days before the exam is to be given:

BACKGROUND-During this part of the course, our teacher had literally spent 3 days going over cell respiration, in excruciating detail.
Teacher: Alright, does anyone have any quick questions I can answer?
Girl: Can you go over cell respiration?
Teacher: Sure, what part of it?
Girl: Oh, all of it.
Teacher: <completely cracks up> Haha!
Girl: ...
Teacher: Wait... really?
Girl: ... yeah?
Teacher: <Are you effing kidding me? face>
Girl: ...
Teacher: ...
Girl: ... how about... can you draw a metaphor between cell respiration and an automobile???
<entire class cracks up/suppresses snickers>
Teacher: ... no

This is so true. How do these people even make it through undergrad?

True, but there will always be that ONE person who stays until the VERY end no matter how short and easy an exam is.

If you're willing to gamble on it. I've had plenty of classes where no one is left :(

Someday you might work for that business major! :laugh:

A lot of my classes have the policy that once someone has finished the exam, no one else can enter the classroom.

This is one of my pet peeves as well. >:[

Last edited:
Someday you might work for that business major! :laugh:

Haha, of course. There are many smart people out there who are business majors, and these people will undoubtedly make more money than I will ever come close to. But its also a major that anyone can get through (at least at my lowly state school)

Haha, of course. There are many smart people out there who are business majors, and these people will undoubtedly make more money than I will ever come close to. But its also a major that anyone can get through (at least at my lowly state school)

Hehe, but of course, getting through the major =/= successful down the road.

My power level is over NINE THOUSAAANNNDDDD!!!!

My power level is over NINE THOUSAAANNNDDDD!!!!
142882_main.jpg

I like how everything on SDN ultimately leads to some version of "you guys will make terrible doctors..."

I like how everything on SDN ultimately leads to some version of "you guys will make terrible doctors..."

I know I will. I just lie through my teeth until I am given the opportunity to prove it.:eek: