How many questions can I possibly answer?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluehighlighter

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of making my schedule:scared:...I have roughly 6 and 1/2 weeks to prepare for the big day. I keep seeing people emphasize the importance of doing questions on here!!! so...here's my question...How many questions is feasible during this time period...Does one focus the majority of their time on questions...and if this is so...why doesn't every med student aim to complete all the questions banks 4 and 5x over during their step 1 study time? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i did about close to 5000 qs in abut 6 wks, but i made doing qs my primary way of reviewing and studying for step 1

I was going to answer this earlier, but I was waiting to see what other people thought. Since no one is responding, I'll put my two cents in.

In a 6.5 week schedule, it is very possible for you to do 14,700+ questions (350 x 42 days). This is more than enough to go through multiple q-banks 4-5x over.

But it all comes to several different factors:

Time - Most important because the majority(I'm thinking) have classes, exams, are going to be in review courses for step what-have-you. And for you to do soo many questions, you also want to get a good understanding of why you got it wrong or why you got it right(if you guessed). Also, some people like to annotate in their FA books while doing questions and guess what this takes....MORE TIME!!

Another important factor:

Level of understanding - If you are at the point where your understanding is good, then you can very easily do 150+ questions per day. But for me, some of the concepts are not there so I may get to do only 50-100 per day.

Bottom line, you just have to find a good equilibrium between studying and questions. Everyones level of understanding is different so its likely that the number of questions vary from person to person.

Just my take. Good Luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies...I just find myself in the process of making my study schedule and weighing the options of how to best spend my time...

100 a day seems like a decent target for the majority of people. That's two blocks, and should leave plenty of time to review answers, brush up on topics that you missed, and probably do some basic non-question related review as well.

If you are at the point in your studies where you have gone through all your review resources thoroughly and "feel like you know it" pretty well, you could probably step that up to 200 or more per day and have time to review questions.