How many resources for M3/step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

theguardsman

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

Just wrapped up step 1 and looking for a bit of guidance regarding picking resources for M3 and step 2. I know that fewer resources are often better than more resources, however, I often have trouble sticking to this rule. Throughout M2, I switched my anki decks and qbanks like 5 times and was not getting good results, until I finally settled on only using FA and UW during the 3 months before the exam and that worked out well.

So far I've realized for M3 most people use a mix of a book + videos (OME) + UW. Is that a fair assessment?

If I also want to do flashcards, should I give up one of those things? For example, if I want to do firecracker, should I give up OME vids and just do the book, UW + firecracker? I obviously would like to do it all (as we all would) but I understand that time will be limited and am trying to be realistic with what I can do with 2-4 ish(?) hours of studying each evening. Last week I was also considering just using the OME premium package which has notes for prereading, videos, then flashcards (plus UW and a book). Though after trying both firecracker and the OME cards for a week, I felt like firecracker cards were somewhat better.

Any tips here? Am I being overly ambitious given M3 time constraints? Should I stick to a book + UW and only supplement with videos when needed? Is it realistic to do that plus firecracker? Would appreciate your advice
 
I found OME to be very remedial. UWorld + Step Up and studying for the rotation I was on was all I needed to do pretty well on Step 2. I feel like 3rd year is different because your learning is constantly reinforced in all your clerkships. Whereas pre-clinical courses are isolated clusterf*cks.
 
Hey, thanks for replying! a few questions:
  • By remedial, do you mean it was too simplistic?
  • step up to CK or step up to medicine? did you use it during the year or only during dedicated?
  • what was your approach to studying for the rotation? a book I assume?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, thanks for replying! a few questions:
  • By remedial, do you mean it was too simplistic?
  • step up to CK or step up to medicine? did you use it during the year or only during dedicated?
  • what was your approach to studying for the rotation? a book I assume?

Too simplistic for me. Take that with a grain of salt though. I used step up to medicine for rotations and dedicated. It really helps you hone your diagnostic algorithms. I studied for rotations by reading a lot about my patients and assigned readings from my attendings in addition to doing UWorld questions.
 
Hey, thanks for replying! a few questions:
  • By remedial, do you mean it was too simplistic?
  • step up to CK or step up to medicine? did you use it during the year or only during dedicated?
  • what was your approach to studying for the rotation? a book I assume?

I thought the same with OME being really simplistic and basic. It's good for a quick overview. I preferred Step Up to Medicine when I was on my IM rotation. Some people don't like the book because it's too detailed or didn't like the bullet format.